1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

if your 1st gen dakota rolls over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 PM
bikegearhead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if your 1st gen dakota rolls over but wont start

I have seen alot of people asking why there dakota rolls over but wont start. the first thing to check is the wire harness. Under the battery area start removing the tape on the harness until yo find 3 red wires that are soldered into one. This conection gets corroded and will let you roll over the truck but will not start. Splice the connection and re solder , tape it back up and you should be good to go.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:12 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good advice! It is more commonly called the "Notorious Splice". For anyone who needs it here is a good post we all put together with pictures and info. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1678925

It also can be found in the FAQ just a few posts above this one.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:10 AM
89newbie
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also before doing the splice thing check the fuse for the rollover relay. I had a problem with no stat no nothing and started there after checking the neutral safety switch. Start fuse was bad, and several other fuses showed signs of age so I replaced start and rollover. Also checked starter and wiring. Truck started right up. Now Im thinking these fuses have been in there for going on 12 years, and am going to replace the heater fuse. I don't know how long slow drainage to fuses takes to kill em, but experience with A.C. fuses from 44 years as a master electrician has convinced me fuses age. Now if I could replace a fuse to get it out of the mud! Bought a house that Mr. D, re-landscaped without thought of bottom lot on a long hill. With all the rain my Christmas Present is a skating rink but my poor Dak, parked on high ground,sunk to the frame. Later guys back out side to crib the truck out of the mud and 4x4 As in wood,it to the street.

Quick Reply: if your 1st gen dakota rolls over but wont start