1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need Clean 12V Circuit; PWR Doors Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:47 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Need Clean 12V Circuit; PWR Doors Conversion

I am converting my 88' manual doors to power locks and windows. I checked and the plugs are not on the wiring harness in the dashboard so it's not base on the harness. I will need a clean fused source for the doors, 12V to each door then 4 leads from the drivers door panel over to the passengers (locks U/L - windows U/D). I would assume they use a base fuse box that should have an open bank I can use but not sure if the female fuse holder parts are installed on the empty banks. Suggestions?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Most likely only 1 terminal is installed in the open fuse spots in the fuse box.
Just buy a general in-line fuse holder they are cheep. For the windows run the power off of a line for a hot in RUN wire off of the ignition, maybe the blower motor ect. For the door locks you will need an all time power supply. Using simple relays will cut down on the power draw from the power line you tap into.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 12-07-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 AM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i did my 90 i ran power off the seat belt connector on the drivers seat. got power and killed the seat belt chime at the same time. i put the switches on the flat space on the front of the center consul. that was about 20 years ago and they still work!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:35 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I used a flashlight and looked into them, your right receptors on only one side. There are two banks, one for the windows and another for the locks/seats. I planned on installing power seats at the same time anyway and that was going to be my next question... so I will just run them off the lock power. I don't want lights to dim or windows to slow down when things are in use, and if I can use the fuse-box in there I would rather than inline fuses so they are all in the same spot. I'm sure it can't be that hard to install 2 receptors and be good to go, the ones that are already in there must be 12v positive leads right?

I don't quite understand the relay thing, why would I want to limit the power?

Old 12-08-2011, 02:09 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
I don't quite understand the relay thing, why would I want to limit the power?
You would want to limit the draw on the circuit you tie into. Say you tie into the blower motor circuit, then you add in the windows and door locks and power seats all on that same circuit, now that can over load that system and burn fuses or wires quick.

Relays use low power to switch on higher power circuits.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:28 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
You would want to limit the draw on the circuit you tie into. Say you tie into the blower motor circuit, then you add in the windows and door locks and power seats all on that same circuit, now that can over load that system and burn fuses or wires quick.

Relays use low power to switch on higher power circuits.
Ohhh, no I plan on using separate clean window and lock/seat circuits. Wouldn't that limit the power to the windows and make them roll slower??

Quick Reply: Need Clean 12V Circuit; PWR Doors Conversion