1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

projector headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:54 AM
9652dakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

due to a virus i haven't uploaded any new pics yet but i appear to have wiped it out today so i should be posting tomarrow or the next day with some installed pics.

so far the lights even with the h7 halogen bulbs are absalutly an astounding improvement. one thing i know after the install is the factory bulbs pointed to the right. knowing this when i do the final bi xenon set up i will aim them over to the left a tad more than i did. i followed the lines in the top of the housing as a straight point reference. this resulted in them being aimed like the 9004 bulbs. the cut off is excelent as well. i did consider swaping the h7's for hid's (i test fitted some and it worked well) but i decided not to because having that amount of foreground light would make my eyes adjust to the brighter light making it difficult to see a distance with my high beam driving lights. they are soley for when i am going up and down back roads where the hills make the low beams dive down. the driving lights i have for high beams are bright as **** but they disperse at a distance wich is why i have kept the halogens.

the sealant i used seems to be holding up to the heat and vibration very well.
i considerd the 9007 idea but i had read that they did give it more light and focused well enough but that the highbeams didn't really aim like high beams.
this was a good little expierement to see how it would turn out.

so far it's been very well worth it. and it does look amazing. with the reflectors painted black.
i thought of rechroming everything in there around the projector to keep a more stock look but i like the look of it blacked out around the lens that appears grey when aproaching from a distance.
on a note about the cutting the best way to do it i found is that a dremel works well and that a hot knife does excellent also. the hot knife leaves smoke marks on the parts around the cuts but it's perfect for trimming to fit the projector in since you don't have to remove it to cut with the hot knife. doing that lets you see exactly where to cut and what angles.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:53 PM
nemesis158
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was looking on another forum and found a link to these: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3181

If i do this i think i'll try those

Old 01-01-2012, 11:01 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

iv'e been carousing the net for what i want to use for the final fit aswell. i belive that i will go that rout if my buddies don't luck upon another bizenon housing. the one i have for testing is a beast. i actually mocked it up first and planing it out. then i pulled my pnp hids out after noticing alott ppl seemed like the like was bothering them. no high beams then either. so i just pushed this on out and got it done. now i can see in the rain and snow and fow and feel safe in it. i actually prefer one without halos but a hack a day can that if it what i get.
i actually took out the halo form the one bixenon lamp housing i have and rigged it with a 12 volt wall wart to git the cats a night light. they can't aim to hit the broad side of the cat pan.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:31 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

i thought i would update everyone on how the lights are holding up. so far i have no problems with output at all. in the snow and fog i actually see better without the fog lights on. i have just orderd my bi xenon projectors and i'm waiting for them to get here. the lights have been an incredible improvement over stock and continue to amaze me at how white the light from them is. one thing i have noted is that the stock housings have it set up so the bulb is off to the right a bit wich i was able to correct in aiming the housings but i will be compensating for it in my final set. if i had highbeams with these i wouldn't mess with em. the light output is beutiful and they look cool as hell. but the lack of a highbeam on some windy backroads without street lights is a pain in the !@#. the lenses have not cracked or melted or anything like that. no moisture in them yet. no problems with the projectors moving around. the paint has held up great (painted the reflectors black for a more modern look that matched the truck color). the lights actually don't run cooler than the factory lights did but the lenses stay cool to the touch where as before they did get kinda hot at times. this probly because of the big aluminum projector hanging out like a big heat sink though.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:09 PM
scrappydakota
Rookie

Still waiting on those pics!!!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 AM
9652dakota
Veteran

sorry for the long wait guys. things have been more crazy than you can imagine at home. the truck is about 5 feet from the wall in this pic.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 AM
WRXCarl
Professional

I would like to see a picture from about 25 feet from the wall.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 AM
nemesis158
Professional

i actually just put all new housings on my truck, difference was like night and day, with stock headlights. i still want to make my own custom headlights at some point though.....

Old 08-29-2012, 01:41 PM
9652dakota
Veteran
Old 08-29-2012, 01:42 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...bout-50-ft.jpg

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...bout-50-ft.jpg

well i added the pics to my album. i don't have time to make more posts and put em all there but here are the links to them. it wasn't the darkest place in the world and the cam really doesn't do the width of the beam justice but it's something anyway.

Quick Reply: projector headlights.