1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Firewall wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 PM
GreenDak22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firewall wiring

Within the next day or so, I'm putting a rollbar onto my truck and have 4 lights mounted on top of it. Mounting isn't that hard part, but wiring is most definitely not my forte, but I plan on making it a good learning project.

And so I have 2 questions in which some one has some knowledge of or give their opinion:
1. Where's the best way to pass the wires through the firewall into the cab from the engine compartment; and 2. What's a good place to install the switches? I know not to put them where they're going to get into the way, but I don't want to screw them into a panel that has electrical components behind it, and possibly damage it.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 AM
ditchdigger2012
Amateur

If you look to the bottom right of the steering column (going from memory) on the firewall there should be a circle/oval that is covered with a rubber seal..just take a knife and cut a slit in this rubber to fit your wire through..shouldn't have to worry about getting water in there it but if you are use some silicone or black gasket maker. As for the switches i've mounted them on the plastic panel on either side of the steering column in my 89 dakota and on the blank panel under the light switch/power mirrors in my 95 dakota. Only issue with the 95 is that the fuse box is right behind the switches so you gotta be careful drilling the hole and its a tight squeezed to get the switch in from the back. Ill try to get some pictures of the switches later.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:53 AM
GreenDak22
Professional

Alright, thanks for letting me know about that rubber seal. I plan on wiring everything up today, assuming I don't break anything.
Some pics of the switches would be ideal. I was actually thinking about putting them on the left side of the dash, the area that's right between the dash and the driver's door. That way it's out of the way, yet still easily accessible.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:13 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ditchdigger2012
If you look to the bottom right of the steering column (going from memory) on the firewall there should be a circle/oval that is covered with a rubber seal..
if i'm thinking the same thing you thonking thats the pre-cut hole for the clutch master cylinder in which case since he has a 5 speed it would be in use...

if it is that one then best bet would be to drill a new hole in the firewall and get a rubber grommet form a local auto/hardware store and use that(or silicone like i did.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:14 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
if i'm thinking the same thing you thonking thats the pre-cut hole for the clutch master cylinder in which case since he has a 5 speed it would be in use...

if it is that one then best bet would be to drill a new hole in the firewall and get a rubber grommet form a local auto/hardware store and use that(or silicone like i did.
or, as long as the harness isn't too thick, you could run it through the rubber grommet that has the gas pedal cable running through it. Thats where I ran the constant wire for the amp on my subs through, and I do believe that is either a 8 or 6 gauge wire. I can't remember

Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

i ran all my wires through a pre drilled hole in the firewal thats between the booster and the fender...bout a 1/4" in size...took the grommet out and it was fine

Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 PM
GreenDak22
Professional

Hey guys, thanks for all the information about the firewall.
However, I'm still having a hell of a time trying to run the wires through the rollbar, through the bed, onto the frame rail, and to the battery. Once I get that fun stuff done, then I'll take a look at one of the aforementioned areas on the firewall.

I'm hoping to have this whole thing completed tonight, and then have some pics up tomorrow or soon after

Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 PM
ditchdigger2012
Amateur

Alright first time uploading pictures..hopefully this comes out right..
This one is in my 1995 dakota

and this steering column cover is out of my 89 dakota..the two squares is where i had my switches.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...61819394_n.jpg

Old 12-23-2011, 06:14 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
i ran all my wires through a pre drilled hole in the firewal thats between the booster and the fender...bout a 1/4" in size...took the grommet out and it was fine
Yea but he has a 5 speed, so that pre-drilled hole will be filled with the clutch pedal and clutch master cylinder. Thats what that hole was originally for

Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 PM
GreenDak22
Professional

So I was able to get all the wiring done and it looks great. For the firewall, I just drilled my a new hole, ran the wires, and then used silicone to seal it up. I'll post some pics tomorrow with where I put the switches, and I'll also make a new post with how my truck looks with the rollbar, lights, and 2 inch lift...I'd wanna know what you guys think

Quick Reply: Firewall wiring