1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9 runs rough until warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:42 PM
raywith76elsi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3.9 runs rough until warm

Hello to the forum; happy new year! Have a '95 Dakota with 3.9 and automatic. Starts fine and idles good at first. Quickly begins to stumble but usually continues to idle. Trying to drive off will make truck run rough and most likely stall. Wait approximately 20 minutes allowing temperature to come up to mid-gauge; idle settles out and you can drive away without problems. Changed O2 sensor because Check Engine indicated problem; no Check Engine light since yet problem just described remains. Let it come up to temperature and she runs just fine... Any ideas?

Old 12-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to DF!

Lots of possibilities, from a vacuum leak to a bad coolant temp sensor.

I will move this to the 1st Generation Dakota Sub-forum.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 PM
raywith76elsi
Question

Humm... I would think that a vacuum leak would not appear at start up, kick in shortly after running, clear up after 20 minute warm up, and not cause any farther issue thereafter. Any suggestions on how to remove this as a possibility are certainly welcomed. As for the temperature sensor, the temperature gauge works perfectly; bottom scale at start to mid scale after warm up. Thanks for the consideration.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Vacuum problems can result in poor starting issues.
There are 2 coolant sensors 1 for the gauge which is obviously working, 2nd for the pcm. Check the FAQ for a diagram.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd follow what crazy said...

someone told me once that a bad head gasket can cause that too, but once the truck warmed up it would blow out way more white smoke than normal and smell really wierd.

and never trust a temp guage. my old dakota overheated once and after that my guage went up to the halfway point and wouldn't move at all. after i replaced it for kicks and giggles i found that the truck was still overheating(which it felt like it was doing anyway which prompted for the new sensor).

Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 AM
89newbie
Captain

Warm engines run better because tolerances are reached. Other reasons for poor idle can be caused by the sensor for the PCM, IAM can be crudded and not quite right, or even defective, wiring to these units could be frayed, EGR valve could need cleaned or replaced, vacum leaks, just a host of things. I read so many posts where lots of parts have been changed to no avail.

Quick Reply: 3.9 runs rough until warm