1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Accomplishments and Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 AM
silverpsycho38
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accomplishments and Issues

Yesterday I fixed a few things on my 92 dakota 3.9l auto with 4x4 before heading to my girlfriends. I replaced my seat belt that the borough guys cut out for some odd reason. We neglected to purchase the right one cause the pick and pull only had an ext cab truck so i swaped everthing over that was necessary to make it work in my truck and bingo I am safe once again. I replaced the check engine light bulb that I accidentaly blew trying to fix the light behind the tach which I fixed too. I had to solder in a wire becuase I accidentily took a chip out of the circuit board when trying to replace the bulb. Easiest way to remove the cluster is remove knee panel, the bezel, and the lower the steering column a bit but loosening the nuts til almost off the studs. That gives you enough clearance to get the cluster out. I fixed a loose line at the brake master cylinder and bled the brakes again.

The issue I am having is an intermittent shut off due to lose of fuel supply. I determined it was fuel related by seeing if the rail had pressure at the shreader valve and spraying starting fluid in the intake. I don't think that it is a bad wire because i wiggled the harness,and shook the truck and she wouldn't stall. Friday night she shut off and I was trying to figure it out in taco bell parking lot. Well I got so pissed I slammed the door and whatever it was caused the problem to fix and she started. I am thinking it is a bad pump becuase the fuel gauge doesn't work right and I have code 27 haunting me. I read a couple threads here stating that a fix of the pump got rid of code 27. I am trying to test power to the pump but don't know what wire is for the pump feed. I found a wire diagram on here and will go from there after work and festivities today.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check for power at the fuel pump and the relay.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 AM
silverpsycho38
Amateur

should it read 12 volts

Old 01-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes. Make sure you are checking the correct wires. We have wiring diagrams in the service manual in the FAQ.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:12 PM
silverpsycho38
Amateur

I have some weird findings on the truck that don't go by what schooling taught me. It is hard to describe without showing pictures of the findings. When the truck shuts off i lose power at the blue connector under the dash but I still have power at the relay. I am testing the dark green/black stripe wire. Next spot to test when she shuts off in a safe place is the PDC connector on the firewall. If I slam the hood hard enough it jolts something to supply power again to the fuel pump, cause I turn the key and she starts again. I am not sure if it is a bad connector or a broken wire. When i ohm the wire it doesn't say OL but also doesn't read resistance it say 00.00. I hope to solve this and a few other problems soon.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM
SXX360
Amateur

Don't try to read the resistance to determine if there is a break in the connection the easiest way is to use a continuity test as most multimeters have that capability

Old 01-13-2012, 06:40 AM
silverpsycho38
Amateur

I think I found out the problem that was haunting me. I believe it was a bad computer because I swaped in the other one I had and she runs better with no cel. The other problem I am having is a slight surge around the 1-2 or 2-3 shift. I dunno if it is a shifting problem or if it is an actual surging problem but it only does it once a stop. I will check the tranny fluid when i get to work today.

Quick Reply: Accomplishments and Issues