1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New Clue 92 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:46 PM
MelB851
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New Clue 92 Dakota

I don't know if anyone has ever noticed this for the problem of the 39.V6 starting/running/backfireing problem. If you moniter the O2 sensor output when the problem of the ruff running and backfireing is occuring , you will see that the exaust goes from lean to rich , back and forth, does not measure normal or correct. I still haven't found the cause yet but I think I'm getting close. I pulled the connector off the MAP sensor while the problem was happening and it smothed out but didn't fix was much better though. So I'm leaning twards the air manafold temp sensor or map sensor circuit back to the computer. Had to take mine off the road, the problem got worst and was cutting out while driving. Couldn't depend on it getting me back and forth to work.
Question : what happens to the manafold air temp sensor once the motor is hot? Does it shut off or does it still moniter the temp and adjust the injectors accordingly ?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The fuel mixture is never in a constant normal/correct mixture, it is constantly changing, that is normal.

All sensors including the IAT is monitored even once the motor is at operating temp.

If your getting back firing then it is an timing/ignition issue. Check all the plug wires are in the correct locations. Try doing a tune up all the plugs wires cap and rotor. Make sure the distributor is in the correct location.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 AM
nemesis158
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would check your plugs. if two of them are swapped it will cause this

Old 01-03-2012, 11:52 AM
MelB851
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Dakota

Thanks for those suggestions, though I have already been through those things first. NEW distributor, plugs , wires , coil and many other things. This is a problem that even dodge can't figure out. No codes show up, and it is very intermittent. tempature dosn't seem to be a factor. When it is running like it is suppose to the 02 sensor stays in the normal range because the egr, timing and fuel is all being adjusted correctly. when it is acting up the timing is good,the 02 sencer goes nuts and tries to get the computor to over controll, thus eather ruff ideling or stall out. The air intake valve on the throttel body opens fully to try and compensate for extra fuel being dumped in the cylinders . Also have a new computor in it. It could run great for a week then whack is craps out.
List of parts I've already put in.
New distributer w/new pickup
New 02 sensor
New throttel body positioner
New Map sensor
New Crank shaft position sensor
New Computer
New water temp sensor
New Air metering valve
New plugs /wires/roter and Cap
New EGR valve
New cattelitic converter and muffler
New resistor network for blower motor
New Battery
New ignition switch assembly (on collum)
At least I pretty much know what isn't causing the problem.

Quick Reply: New Clue 92 Dakota