1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

rear sway bar mounting

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 AM
bill55az
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear sway bar mounting

Cruising one of my favorite yards, not finding any good Mopar stuff, so I wandered over to the Ford section....
I have found in the past that Explorer/Ranger rear sway bar axle mount/brackets are nicer than most of the after market stuff we might buy for our Gen1 trucks. The Ubolts are flattened instead of round and grip the axle better. You have to get a pair from 2 different vehicles as one of the parts is riding on the edge of the pumpkin and won't ride flat on Mopar axles. I forget which side.
ANYWAY, I found something new...
instead of ubolts, they used regular bolts and a "strongback" of CAST IRON. No nuts needed, the strongback has threaded holes. part number is f57a-4a047-aa...
so you end up with 5 parts per side, 2 bolts, the bushing clamp, the strongback, and the part that looks like a leaf spring pad.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool find. So did you buy it? You going to mount it up?

I had the rear bar from my 82 Trans Am I thought out mounting it to the truck long ago. It seemed to be a good size.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 AM
bill55az
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an aftermarket bar last year, used, installed it, but didn't like the axle clamps that came with it. The Ford setup is better looking....

Quick Reply: rear sway bar mounting