1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tires stock height/lift.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
ColinSLC56
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking into lifts as well - I have a few ideas.

Front:

Torsion bars cranked up or coil spacers - Which do you guys think are better in your opinions?

Back:

Blocks in between the axle and leaf springs with larger U-Bolts, and/or add-a-leaf?

Add-a-leaf: $51.62
http://www.jcwhitney.com/add-a-leaf-...id=d412y1993j1

Coil Spacers (4wd) - Anybody have a link?

Do I NEED keys to crank my torsion bars? What do they do?

Also, I'm going to the junk yard and I'm going to look around for some Dakotas (maybe fullsizes) that I can nab leafs or brackets off of.

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ColinSLC56
I've been looking into lifts as well - I have a few ideas.

Front:

Torsion bars cranked up or coil spacers - Which do you guys think are better in your opinions?

Back:

Blocks in between the axle and leaf springs with larger U-Bolts, and/or add-a-leaf?

Add-a-leaf: $51.62
http://www.jcwhitney.com/add-a-leaf-...id=d412y1993j1

Coil Spacers (4wd) - Anybody have a link?

Do I NEED keys to crank my torsion bars? What do they do?

Also, I'm going to the junk yard and I'm going to look around for some Dakotas (maybe fullsizes) that I can nab leafs or brackets off of.

Thanks!
You're all over the place. 4wds have torsion bars, not coils. So you cannot use coil spacers.

I personally don't like blocks and would opt for add-a-leafs although they will stiffen up the rear.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:47 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

BTW . . . the hockey puck body lift on our 4x4 . . 1 hockey puck = 1" Lift, 2 hockey pucks at 1" each = 2" body lift and that's what we did.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 PM
ColinSLC56
Amateur

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
You're all over the place. 4wds have torsion bars, not coils. So you cannot use coil spacers.

I personally don't like blocks and would opt for add-a-leafs although they will stiffen up the rear.
Yeah sorry, thats what I get when I use a new truck for suspension ideas, haha. So I'm probably going to do the add-a-leaf. For the front, do I need torsion keys or am I able to crank those up without them? My dad is also suggesting air shocks, no clue on a price range for those.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:02 AM
BeatDakota

Got the 30s on and the fit great, just a little bit of rubbing on the frame when i'm at full lock but that doesn't bother me at all. If you want quiet tires, definitely steer away from Mickey thompson baja belteds. Makes it sound like you have airplanes flying over you all the time.

Quick Reply: Tires stock height/lift.