1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Nasty Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excuse me if I'm changing the topic but my GenI has a squeal as well. Only when I turn completely left or right, and more recently if I turn too fast. Obviously the power steering pulley, which my grandfather had to beat the living hell out of to get off the old pump when he changed it so when running it has a slight wobble. Would the over turning and quick turning causing the squeal be because of the wobbly pulley or a loose belt?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:15 PM
MyDisciple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
Excuse me if I'm changing the topic but my GenI has a squeal as well. Only when I turn completely left or right, and more recently if I turn too fast. Obviously the power steering pulley, which my grandfather had to beat the living hell out of to get off the old pump when he changed it so when running it has a slight wobble. Would the over turning and quick turning causing the squeal be because of the wobbly pulley or a loose belt?
Could very well be a worn belt, check to see if it has cracks in it or seems loose, the wobble in the pulley is almost certainly causing the belt to wear quicker. I'd try to find a replacement for it. If you're running a v-belt you might just try tightening it up. Just don't go nuts as you'll put excessive wear on bearings and such which can cause other problems down the road. If you're on a serpentine check that the tensioner is still good.

Last edited by MyDisciple; 02-14-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:20 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by MyDisciple
Could very well be a worn belt, check to see if it has cracks in it or seems loose, the wobble in the pulley is almost certainly causing the belt to wear quicker. I'd try to find a replacement for it. If you're running a v-belt you might just try tightening it up. Just don't go nuts as you'll put excessive wear on bearings and such which can cause other problems down the road. If you're on a serpentine check that the tensioner is still good.
I will have a look and see what kind of belt setup it uses. The pulley is no longer available through parts stores and the dealer only has one left in the entire US and it's $220 some wad dollars! I might have to take a long drive to a junkyard

Old 02-14-2012, 10:34 PM
mhutson21
Default 1996 dakota

i got a 96 dakota 3.9 it wont change to 2nd gear until it get above 2000 rpms and the same for 3rd and when u drive down the road at 55mph the rpms r at 2000 what could b wrong

Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by mhutson21
i got a 96 dakota 3.9 it wont change to 2nd gear until it get above 2000 rpms and the same for 3rd and when u drive down the road at 55mph the rpms r at 2000 what could b wrong
First, figure out how to make a new thread lol. Second, that doesn't really sound strange at all to me...

Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 AM
MyDisciple

I will have a look and see what kind of belt setup it uses. The pulley is no longer available through parts stores and the dealer only has one left in the entire US and it's $220 some wad dollars! I might have to take a long drive to a junkyard
Yep for 220 bucks... just run it and keep a spare belt in the truck.

Give craigs list a crack as well.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:31 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Yep for 220 bucks... just run it

Give craigs list a crack as well.
Can I pull one from a 92'-96' Magnum? Sorry to the OP for hijacking.

I was going to try Car-Part.com check it out if you haven't heard of it.

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 02-15-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:54 AM
JoeChorba

Originally Posted by misfitdakota_95
Check also the alignment of all your pulleys. A misaligned pulley (P/S, A/C, WP, etc.) can cause the belt to walk and make noise.

This was actually the reason for changing everything I did. My belt started walking and shredded my first belt.

I'm going to go through it this weekend to see whih pulley is squealing. If its not the pulley then ill check the beltther of closer. If not either of those then ill check the clutch.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 PM
MyDisciple

Can I pull one from a 92'-96' Magnum? Sorry to the OP for hijacking.

I was going to try Car-Part.com check it out if you haven't heard of it.
What truck do you have?

Old 02-15-2012, 02:51 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

What truck do you have?
88' Dakota with a 3.9l-LA

Quick Reply: Nasty Squeal