1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Nasty Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 PM
MyDisciple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure anything 87-91(maybe even later) with a 3.9 will work but don't quote me on it. Though to be honest you're on a v-belt, if it hasn't jumped off or turned over or anything special like that, I'd wing it down a bit tighter till it stops slipping and keep a spare belt handy.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:43 PM
JoeChorba

Ok at this point I'm lost on this squeal.

Within the last month I've replaced everything on the drivebelt except the A/C and crankshaft pulleys. I've replaced the tensioner and pulley, alternator and pulley, idler pulley, water pump and pulley, the power steering pump and pulley, and the belt itself.

After everything I've read and talked to the auto parts store guys, my fan clutch is fine.

I'm at a complete loss as to what else can be causing the squeal. It's seemed to get better after replacing the idle pulley and alternator, but still squeals.

Now it doesn't squeal when I'm making a turn, it squeals a little in idle, and when I accelerate.

Anybody else out there ever experience this before? What am I missing? If it's the crankshaft, what kind of work/money does it take to replace that?

Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 PM
me0418840987
Veteran

Originally Posted by JoeChorba
Ok at this point I'm lost on this squeal.

Within the last month I've replaced everything on the drivebelt except the A/C and crankshaft pulleys. I've replaced the tensioner and pulley, alternator and pulley, idler pulley, water pump and pulley, the power steering pump and pulley, and the belt itself.

After everything I've read and talked to the auto parts store guys, my fan clutch is fine.

I'm at a complete loss as to what else can be causing the squeal. It's seemed to get better after replacing the idle pulley and alternator, but still squeals.

Now it doesn't squeal when I'm making a turn, it squeals a little in idle, and when I accelerate.

Anybody else out there ever experience this before? What am I missing? If it's the crankshaft, what kind of work/money does it take to replace that?
3 things to check. First, does the AC compressor turn easily by hand without a belt on it? Try bypassing it with a shorter belt. From what you have listed, the only thing left is a seized AC compressor.

Second-there is no antifreeze or other fluids getting on any of the belts or pulleys, right?

Final thought, is there still an A.I.R. pump on these motors? My 83 R/C, and 84 350 dump both had them, but they seized, and I took em off long time ago.

Does your belt look like it is glazed and cracked/burned already? If so, something is not turning like it should be.

I have outlived many Dodges, but have never had a crank pulley go bad. That would be the very LAST thing to check. I had a front main that was so bad on a 360, that it got oil all over everything including the belts, and was dumping out a qt in 300 miles.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 AM
93dak4x4
Professional

Dont know if you are still looking at this problem but if you are I would suggest you invest the $20 and get a stethescope to hear where the squeal is coming from. Once you KNOW where it is coming from you can fix it.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 AM
JR318
Veteran

I know this is a old thread but i to have replaced the tensioner pulley and idler pulley and it still squeals. I replace the water pump and it started after the install. I used my mechanic stethoscope and could not find anything making noise. I checked the fan clutch and it had no play. So i sprayed some wd40 on the shaft where the stud that mounts to the water pump and the fan clutch really went to screaming then lol. So in the end it was my fan clutch but from the feel of it you would have never guessed it. Hope this helps out in the future.

Quick Reply: Nasty Squeal