1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New 1st Gen Dokota owner + Questions & Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 AM
LilLowEK
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New 1st Gen Dokota owner + Questions & Problems

Hi all!

I found this forum from a google search on "first generation dodge dakota transmission problem". It came up with the result to the FAQ found here. This is great information and will help me along my process I'm sure. Let me tell you a little about the truck.

I met my girlfriend about 3 years ago. When going to meet her parents I noticed this truck in the driveway. In small talk one day her father said the transmission is bad. He said it's been sitting for years and if he remembers correctly it was slipping. About a year after that statement and still off the road he did take it hunting. So it must drive/move to some point. It sat for another 2 years and thats where I'm at today. He told me if I want it I can have it.

It's a 1989 Dodge Dakota LE v6 4x4 with 17x,xxx miles. The truck is in what I'd like to say good shape for the year. Hardly any rust, interrior is almost new, and the engine bay is even clean. It seems loaded. AC I believe, power locks and windows, cup holder in dash, and even a rear sliding window. (no pics yet sorry!)

I took a jumper pack with me yesterday to see if I can get it running. I checked all the fluids before attempting to start it. All was fine turned the key to the on position. Doing so there seems to be a little electronic device at the throttle body that was moving 2 springs. After trying to start it that quit and the starter didn't even crank. I read about some known problems with the wires in the FAQ butt they are mainly seen in the mid 90s from what I read.

Does anyone have any tips to get me started? I don't have the truck at my house yet but plan on getting a tow soon. I didnt' try to cross the terminals on the starter or anything major yet. Didn't even have time to check fuses.

Somethign else that looks odd and I'm hoping is tied into the transmission. The gear selector on the dash sits on R in park. Is this perhaps the issue with the cable I hear so much about? Is this a sign it could just need an adjustment to shift smooth?

Thanks everyone! Any information you can give me on any of the problems and anything else that may help me will be great!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first off, if its been sitting that long, that battery is DEAD. Take it out and put in another one. It is acting like a resistor. I'd bet itll at least crank with a good battery in it.

As for the shift lever, no, I'm sorry, but its probably just the indicator off. The trans is probably bad.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM
LilLowEK
Amateur

Originally Posted by marcar1993
Well first off, if its been sitting that long, that battery is DEAD. Take it out and put in another one. It is acting like a resistor. I'd bet itll at least crank with a good battery in it.

As for the shift lever, no, I'm sorry, but its probably just the indicator off. The trans is probably bad.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm sorry I should have mentioned. I used a jumper pack that was fully charged. After that I also used a set of jumper cables on a car while it was running. Still the same problem. Terminals were also tight but I didn't get a round to cleaning them up.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Since the transmission shifter was in reverse I would assume the Park neutral starter switch wasn't engaged. Try cranking it in every gear, I assume the adjuster rod is misadjusted. As for the transmission slipping, it may just need a complete rebuild. Check the fluid when the engine is running and at a warm temp, if it is low that could be one cause for the slippage. If the truck is free then just paying for a transmission rebuild should be no problem. Think of it as you paid the transmission rebuild for the truck.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM
LilLowEK
Amateur

Hi Crazy4x4RT,

I was wondering if you were going to reply. I see you are a very active member.

The more I looked at it perhaps it wasn't in reverse but it shows reverse when in park. I'll attempt what you mentioned by trying to start in multiple gears.

Anything else you guys can give me in general about the things I mentioned or the truck will be great! I'll report back when I get the truck to my place and start tinkering with it.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Ps...I'm hoping the transmission is fine. He said he paid someone a few grand years ago to rebuild the transmission. Time will tell.

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Since the transmission shifter was in reverse I would assume the Park neutral starter switch wasn't engaged. Try cranking it in every gear, I assume the adjuster rod is misadjusted. As for the transmission slipping, it may just need a complete rebuild. Check the fluid when the engine is running and at a warm temp, if it is low that could be one cause for the slippage. If the truck is free then just paying for a transmission rebuild should be no problem. Think of it as you paid the transmission rebuild for the truck.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:42 AM
festerw
Veteran

Originally Posted by LilLowEK
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm sorry I should have mentioned. I used a jumper pack that was fully charged. After that I also used a set of jumper cables on a car while it was running. Still the same problem. Terminals were also tight but I didn't get a round to cleaning them up.
It won't matter how much power you add if the battery is completely discharged and won't take a charge. After sitting that long, especially if you live in a climate with freezing temperatures the battery is done.

Pull a working battery and throw it in there to test it out.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 PM
LilLowEK
Amateur

Will do.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Originally Posted by festerw
It won't matter how much power you add if the battery is completely discharged and won't take a charge. After sitting that long, especially if you live in a climate with freezing temperatures the battery is done.

Pull a working battery and throw it in there to test it out.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also say go ahead with the new battery - I have had my share of issues that turned out to be just the battery being dead.

My '93 also had a loose adjuster rod (is that what it is called?) on the shift lever linkage. I just fixed mine last week - man, what a difference that made! Also check the cable that connects to the starter. Mine was corroded or something, and I fixed that too. Starts every time now in Park! It used to only start in Neutral.

Having said all that, man, you did good!! Any Dakota free is good to me! You got that '89 4x4 with all that extra stuff on it??? Wow! I would definitely fix that one up. If your 3.9 engine is as good as mine, it is worth it. And, if the body is good, I would even put a new engine in it if it needs one. Waiting for the photos...

Old 03-05-2012, 04:56 PM
LilLowEK
Amateur

Originally Posted by MacDak
I also say go ahead with the new battery - I have had my share of issues that turned out to be just the battery being dead.

My '93 also had a loose adjuster rod (is that what it is called?) on the shift lever linkage. I just fixed mine last week - man, what a difference that made! Also check the cable that connects to the starter. Mine was corroded or something, and I fixed that too. Starts every time now in Park! It used to only start in Neutral.

Having said all that, man, you did good!! Any Dakota free is good to me! You got that '89 4x4 with all that extra stuff on it??? Wow! I would definitely fix that one up. If your 3.9 engine is as good as mine, it is worth it. And, if the body is good, I would even put a new engine in it if it needs one. Waiting for the photos...

Got ya. I'm a decent backyard mechanic so I'm confident I"ll get it running. Just looking for any known issues incase if the basic stuff doesn't get it going.

What is "all the extras"? I'm new to Dodge and trucks in general. Is the 89 LE a good find?

I've always wanted a truck so I don't have to nag someone when I need to haul something so I can't refuse this offer. The body is in pretty damn good shape. The fender flairs are good and intact but seem faded so I'm sure I'll paint them after waxing the truck to see how it cleans up. The paint on the hood looks a little rough but might clean up. If not no big deal. I'll do something with it.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 PM
kahanabob
Captain

as far as it saying reverse there is a string that indicator hooks to and is just out of alignment easy fix remove the cowling around steering post to get at it and line it up correctly.

like everone said when a bettery is toast jumping will not work....

Quick Reply: New 1st Gen Dokota owner + Questions & Problems