1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

"Lift" questions, Equal heights and shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Racingman24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Lift" questions, Equal heights and shocks...

First off, I have a 95 3.9 5 Speed 4x4. Ok, now that that's out of the way...

I'm looking at lifting the old dog. Partly because I think it sags in the rear, and partly because I simply can.

I'm planning on doing a 3" add-a-leaf in the rear [I'm fairly certain the rear sags around an 1", the rear should sit higher, and it sits level with the front of the truck] so with that I'm guessing 2" net gain over stock

In the front, I'll probably go grab V8 torsion bars from the U-Pull, and then turn them up a little bit.

My main questions....

1- Will this combo net me around the same lift front to rear? I'm ok if the back sits a bit higher, in fact, I kinda like it.

2- Will the stock shocks handle this minor of a lift?

3- Will turning up the torsion bars tear up ball joints like it does in S10s?

O yea, one other one....will an add-a-leaf really lift the back end 3 inches?

-Eric

Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1. It should be an even lift, but you did say the rear is sagging so it depends on how the AAL does with the sagging leafs.
2. Front yes, rear maybe depending on the lift.
3. By changing anything in a vehicle from the factory specs your are putting more stress on different areas. So yes ball joints can be one the parts that see extra stress and can fail since it was not designed to take those other stresses.

4./O Yea. The answer is it depends on the kit you buy and your sagging springs, see #1.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I took my 92 3.9 2wd Dak to the local spring shop for an add-a-leaf.

They pulled my stock leafs, added a custom made leaf (as thick as the thickest current leaf), re-bent the current leafs and put it back together. This provided about 3" of lift after settling.

I had them do that and replace my shocks at the same time. Cost was a little under $500 (not including shocks I provided). If they didn't install the shocks, it probably would have been around $350 for adding/re-bending the leafs.

The truck is much stouter with the extra leaf. I can put about 1100lbs in the bed before it levels out. Granted, that's a lot of weight for a light pickup and I try to avoid doing that when possible.

Quick Reply: "Lift" questions, Equal heights and shocks...