1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

how to clean fuel injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:32 AM
ngtyler1s
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to clean fuel injectors?

I have a 1995 Dakota with the 3.9l. I want to clean the injectors as it has 230,000 miles on it. My plan is to take all 6 off the truck and then use a lawn 12v battery on a bench with leads to hold the injector valves open as I spray Carb cleaner through them. I would then use new o rings and put them back on. My question is, is this an OK and safe method? Or will I damage the injectors?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes with that mileage it is best to do it. The best way is to get the professionally cleaned. Many local shops can do it some may have to send it out. Just talk to a few shops. There are tons of shops on the web that can do it.

If that is to far out of the question then the next option is to remove them yes use carb cleaner and Q-Tips to clean all you can and new O-Rings. Use a quality fuel injector cleaner in the tank. The less gas you have in it the more consecrated mix you can provide for the injectors. Do it a few times over a several tanks.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:18 PM
ngtyler1s
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks that's what I needed to know

Quick Reply: how to clean fuel injectors?