1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Idling Forward?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 AM
BKCowGod
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about it... Autoboxes are always at least partially engaged. Might want to invest in a tach. You can get a Sunpro Mini Super II for under $30 at most parts stores. I hate not knowing my engine speed... You should be idling a bit under 1000 if everything is happy.

Here's the tach:
Sunpro CP7906 Mini Super Tachometer II - Black Dial : Amazon.com : Automotive Sunpro CP7906 Mini Super Tachometer II - Black Dial : Amazon.com : Automotive

EDIT: I agree with the above poster - check all of your vacuum lines for leaks. Too much unmetered air can crank your idle.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah but you also said it runs ruff off the highway, I'm not looking to solve a problem by switching it with another problem.

I don't think I have anywhere to pull a tach reading from.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:28 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
Yeah but you also said it runs ruff off the highway, I'm not looking to solve a problem by switching it with another problem.

i dont have a problem with it running ruff off the highway. it gets quiet when i come off the highway because i coast and she returns to idle. it sounds like it dies when coming off the highway because i dont have ac and the wind noise with the windows open is louder than the motor idles.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

So in theory, with it unplugged...you can manually control the idle of your engine and the PCM does not have a fit without any IAC return reading?

Old 05-05-2013, 06:47 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

for the 500miles i drove her like that, she hasn't thrown a fit about it...or even thrown a code. i have mine set for 600+/-rpm because my old 93 v8 was about the same as is my diesel ford.

and it beats having my truck idling at 2k when i get off the highway.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Hell yeah I'm going to try this then!! I swear it runs better cranked down when I have the starting issue, however with no IAC I'm not sure how she will do in the winter on cold mornings when it needs a little higher idle to warm up (not sure if it compensates anyway)

Old 05-05-2013, 06:58 PM
BKCowGod
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect

Tach reading just comes off your coil - any car can add a tach. One wire to the coil, one wire to a good ground and you are done.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:00 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BKCowGod
Tach reading just comes off your coil - any car can add a tach. One wire to the coil, one wire to a good ground and you are done.
and a power wire...

Old 05-05-2013, 07:42 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I just tried this, I disconnected it then started the truck (haven't started it today) the idle went up really high, so I plugged it back in and the idle went right back down WITHOUT THE IAC EVEN MOVING! This to me says there is something else controlling the gas? Obviously the air and gas levels control a stable idle and the IAC only controls the air so what controls the gas? Wouldn't the air:fuel ratio be thrown off and it would lean out? Sorry if this sounds retarded I work on small engines.

Since the idle goes up without an IAC reading and the idle goes down with a reading does this flag a vacuum leak??

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 05-05-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Idling Forward?