1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

89 3.9 Auto 2WD wont shift from 1st into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 PM
89Dakota_Kid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 89 3.9 Auto 2WD wont shift from 1st into 2nd

My Dakota wont shift from first suddenly, so i checked the fluid to make sure it was full, it was a little low, so i used the family car to get some more fluid, topped it up, still wont shift. it started while cruising around today, not running hard at all. wtf? the truck has had a tranny put in it before, but i have no clue how many miles are on this one. little help here, as i have school in the morning and I need to know if i can limp it to school (only a mile or so) or if i need to leave it sit so i dont f**k it up more. It was quite warm when it stopped shifting, i let it cool back to the bottom line on the gauge, still nothin. do i just need to rebuild the tranny? or what? im broke and im HOPING this is a relatively cheap fix, as i get 9-12MPG in the city (i have to reason to get on the highway, everything is just out of walking distance... FML)

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 PM
kahanabob
Captain

did you try manually shifting from first to second then drive useing the colum shifter?

Old 04-04-2012, 11:31 PM
sobiecam
Amateur

^ that and check your kickdown linkage, if that sticks it'll hold 1st until really high rpms

Quick Reply: 89 3.9 Auto 2WD wont shift from 1st into 2nd