1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

4x4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:09 AM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ColinSLC56
I think this was mentioned, but check your transfer case oil. I recently opened up my t-case and it was completely dry, I almost had a heart attack! No gear oil at all.

By the way, it's nice to see somebody else from Lancaster County on here I'm down in the southern end. Hope you figure it out!
I got it working smoothly now. The front diff was very low, dirty and full of gasket chunks.

Where do you guys go muddin down there? I had gone to that mudhole back in the wildflower preserve in pequea off river road, but as soon as I get my own 4x4, they filled it in! There is another mudspot in Columbia near the river, but some of that is pretty severe and I'll have to get a buddy to come along incase we get stuck. This is my first 4x4 and I'm still test-driving/getting a feel for it before I do anything too crazy.

Originally Posted by crazyjerry
i forgot you had a body lift. that may be causing problems with shifter movement. i had a chevy once with body lift and the auto tranny linkage had to be extended for it to shift correct. body lifts can cause all sorts of issues with gear shift levers and linkages etc etc
Yep, that was my issue. I had to remove the t-case skid plate and adjust the linkage about 1/4". Now it shifts 2HI to 4HI very easily.

Quick Reply: 4x4 issues