1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Trans replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 AM
Brian1008
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trans replacement?

Hey guys, after a cooler line leak, i replaced them now I dont have reverse, neutral, 1st or 2nd gear, its either 3rd or park. Even when I manually (auto trans) switch it to first or second it drives in 3rd. I cant find any threads that point out one cause for it all. any help would be great.

What are my options as far as trans swap with little or no mods? What vehicles can i check out at the junk yards?

Check engine light codes are 12,41,46,51 which I believe are irrelevant.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Probably you ran it dry to long and burnt up the transmission. It probably needs a full rebuild by now. I suggest to get it rebuilt, who knows how long the junkyard transmission will last. Heck maybe in a month you may need another one when the junkyard unit dies, do it right the first time.

As far as the codes here is the list. You have a problem with your alternator as well as your O2 sensor or fuel pressure.

12* Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles (normal)
41** Generator field not switching properly
46** Charging system voltage too high
51** Fuel system lean
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...e-96-codes.htm

Quick Reply: Trans replacement?