1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 with a bunch of stuff happening

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM
chris13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 with a bunch of stuff happening

I have a 96 Dakota that is having a bunch of thing going wrong on it.

The first issue is the when I drive her in the morning it drives like a dream. After I cut her off and start her back up she runs rough and when I brake before it completely stops she will "buck" or "surge" forward a little. If im sitting at a light after about 30 seconds she do the "surge" again. I was thinking transmission(it's an auto) but why would she run perfectly in the morning?

She has has the gas gauge issue, which I know is common but now the speedometer will intermittently go crazy and bounce around or just drop to zero.

Im just wondering if all this issues are tied together or if there are separate issues and what it could be?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Possibly the transmission. Possibly a vacuum leak.
As for the speedo and gas gauge problems it is possible there is bad wiring but maybe just separate issues. The speedo could be the speed sensor and gas gauge could be the float.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 AM
chris13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been checking for a vacuum leak but have'nt found anything so far. One thing i've noticed too is after I shut the truck off I hear a hissing sound coming from the p/s headlight area. The only parts there are the overflow tank and the low side a/c port. The a/c works great and the radiator is fine too. No overheating.

I figured it was the float on the gas gauge. Its will bounce arounce once in a while or after I put gas in then just drop back down to empty. The speedo i've read everything from the speed sensor is bad to the whole cluster could be going bad.

Quick Reply: 96 with a bunch of stuff happening