1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Beginning the paint job/Few odd Projects

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have access to "Factory Matched" Rattle cans from my local parts store. If you guys have ever heard of "PlastiKote" Its not to bad if for durability if you do it right. My door jams are already all red so thats why I'm going to paint the truck red.
If I do go with the paint roller I'll just go pick up a gallon or so of paint thats matched to my original paint code. It'll be close enough lol.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's some close ups of my roller job. Links underneath are to higher res images so you can zoom in some.

Beginning the paint job/Few odd Projects-wtmjgl.jpg
http://imgur.com/WtMJg

Beginning the paint job/Few odd Projects-kc0gwl.jpg
http://imgur.com/KC0gW

Beginning the paint job/Few odd Projects-5pi1al.jpg
http://imgur.com/5pI1a

Beginning the paint job/Few odd Projects-8mgqsl.jpg
http://imgur.com/8mGqs

Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

That doesn't look half bad at all. Some obvious orange peel going on but aside from that its good and solid colour. I'm gonna seriously consider going this approach since my current goal is to get the truck primed completely before I go crazy which should take me a couple weeks of playing weekend warrior with the painting n such.
Did you use any primer at all or did you just sand and paint?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 AM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Rabid21
That doesn't look half bad at all. Some obvious orange peel going on but aside from that its good and solid colour. I'm gonna seriously consider going this approach since my current goal is to get the truck primed completely before I go crazy which should take me a couple weeks of playing weekend warrior with the painting n such.
Did you use any primer at all or did you just sand and paint?
I only spot primed the rust spots I had sanded down. 99% of the truck was just sand and paint. I rushed the paint job by not taking my time with masking and doing around the windows/jambs properly, I think it'd look a lot better if I went back and touched that stuff up, but it doesn't matter that much to me.

It looks 100x better than it did in 4 colors + bondo

Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Rabid21
Veteran

lol! Yea thats my biggest concern right now is the fact that I'm rocking 4 colours
Red, White, Chrome, and Rockguard black. But I really appreciate yea taking the time to take those photos for me. I'm gonna go that route and paint roll the truck.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:36 AM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well how about you paint your truck with black, it would match the rockguard black roughness.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 AM
JR318
Veteran

Just a idea but I had a buddy paint his whole truck with the rough black bed liner stuff and it turned out really good. When he wants it to shine he wipes the truck down wih armor all lol. It also protects his truck from scratches and small minor dents when he goes wheeling.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

@T.C. I thought about black but I personally have a thing for red trucks lol.

@JR318 I considered rockguarding the entire truck lol. But like I just said I have a thing for red :P!

Update: So I peeled off all the old factory pinstripe took of the fender flares and once the rain lets up a bit I'll be sanding down the rear fenders. Maybe I'll post some pics to lol.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:14 PM
weisel
Amateur

I picked up some spray-on bedliner for my trim as trying to find Plasti Dip is like Vancouver trying to find the Stanley Cup.

BTW, try Home Depot for Plasti Dip if you haven't already. I tried Lowe's and Canadian Tire to no avail.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Originally Posted by weisel
I picked up some spray-on bedliner for my trim as trying to find Plasti Dip is like Vancouver trying to find the Stanley Cup.

BTW, try Home Depot for Plasti Dip if you haven't already. I tried Lowe's and Canadian Tire to no avail.
Oh thems fightin words Weisel...

I can get it through Home Depot this I know but I'd end up paying like 20-30$ per can since they'd be "Special Order"

I'm going to try napa when I have time to get out there. They apparently sell it also according to Plastidips website.

Quick Reply: Beginning the paint job/Few odd Projects