1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transfer Case leak/crack (With Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:46 PM
1993dd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case leak/crack (With Pics)

I have a transfer case leak that I need to get fixed, but I need some help. First of all, I bought the truck with this leak and was told that it just needed a new gasket. I thought it was no big deal, so when I looked at it a little closer I noticed a hair line crack that goes straight through the one of the bolts and out the other side, like someone tightened it too tight or something. (See pics below). I wiped everything down with a rag to make sure it was leaking from that crack (It was). I do also think that it is leaking from the gasket as well, since the crack goes through the bolt and out on the other side of the t-case. I would like to get this fixed soon. How can I fix or repair the crack? And also, how hard is it to change the gasket? Any advice of tips would be well appriciated.

Attached Thumbnails Transfer Case leak/crack (With Pics)-img_8775.jpg   Transfer Case leak/crack (With Pics)-img_8777.jpg   Transfer Case leak/crack (With Pics)-img_8778.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 PM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd say that you should probably start calling junkyards for a new t-case.

You might be able to have it welded, but I would say that the cost of that and the risk involved would not be favorable over just replacing it.

Hopefully someone else has better news for you, but that's my 2c.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case leak/crack (With Pics)