1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Oppourtunity to pick up anther one.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oppourtunity to pick up anther one.

So I was at the local hardware store, and when I came out, one of the workers started talking to me about my truck. He drives one, and actually has one sitting. It was his driver until he blew up the auto and transfer case. Its a 96 318 extended cab. Looking to sell it to me perhaps.
So I have yet to go see this thing, but what do you guys think is a fair price? I payed $1400 for mine, I figure this thing can't be worth more than $500, right? If I don't buy it for parts, a friend of mine who wants my truck said he might be interested to fix it and drive it... Thoughts on what its worth?
Probably going next week to look at it and I'll hopefully get some pictures of it.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 AM
buick
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by marcar1993
So I was at the local hardware store, and when I came out, one of the workers started talking to me about my truck. He drives one, and actually has one sitting. It was his driver until he blew up the auto and transfer case. Its a 96 318 extended cab. Looking to sell it to me perhaps.
So I have yet to go see this thing, but what do you guys think is a fair price? I payed $1400 for mine, I figure this thing can't be worth more than $500, right? If I don't buy it for parts, a friend of mine who wants my truck said he might be interested to fix it and drive it... Thoughts on what its worth?
Probably going next week to look at it and I'll hopefully get some pictures of it.
In my opinion, a truck that isn't running/inspected and needs major repairs like that is basically worth scrap value. I probably wouldn't even pay $500 unless the frame is exceptionally rust-free.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:58 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Rule #1 - Never price another man's stuff!

Let him tell you how much he wants and then go from there but $500 does sound a little steep unless you already have a line on a CHEAP tranny and transfer case.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
buick
Veteran

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
Rule #1 - Never price another man's stuff!

Let him tell you how much he wants and then go from there but $500 does sound a little steep unless you already have a line on a CHEAP tranny and transfer case.
I would say Rule #1 is Treat others as you would like to be treated, which leads to Rule #2 - Don't F with another man's automobile.

This is a buyer's market, OP can offer whatever he feels comfortable with for the vehicle. Seller is not obligated to take said offer, so no harm no foul with a lowball. You might offend him if the offer is ridiculously low, but if it's still sitting in his yard in a month that lowball might become more palatable for the seller.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by buick
I would say Rule #1 is Treat others as you would like to be treated, which leads to Rule #2 - Don't F with another man's automobile.

This is a buyer's market, OP can offer whatever he feels comfortable with for the vehicle. Seller is not obligated to take said offer, so no harm no foul with a lowball. You might offend him if the offer is ridiculously low, but if it's still sitting in his yard in a month that lowball might become more palatable for the seller.
True but his offer maybe be more than the seller wanted in the first place. Just saying.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:02 AM
marcar1993
Captain

I agree entirely, I have been selling stuff for years and always prefer an offer to be laid out to me before I say what I want from it. However he refused, after being gently coerced, to give me a price. I haven't seen it yet. I just wanted to know if I was out of line for laying down a $500 offer, if I think its necessary.
Probably going next week to look at it.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 AM
ebman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, if it means anything i only paid $500 for my 95 ext cab sport with 140k miles on the clock. it has some issues, but nothing big its perfectly driveable as is and would drive it anywhere. no way id pay $500 for a lawn ornament

Old 05-04-2012, 04:24 PM
SEPA92Dakota
Professional

Around my area you can get $350-450 at the scrap yard for any vehicle, $500 would be fair for that truck by me. Worse comes to worse check Craigslist to get an idea.

Despite that I only paid $700 for mine but the owner wanted it gone since it sat in his yard for a year after he bought a new Ram.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:27 PM
buick
Veteran

Originally Posted by SEPA92Dakota
Around my area you can get $350-450 at the scrap yard for any vehicle, $500 would be fair for that truck by me. Worse comes to worse check Craigslist to get an idea.

Despite that I only paid $700 for mine but the owner wanted it gone since it sat in his yard for a year after he bought a new Ram.
You can get $350-450 here too, but you have to have the gas tank and tires off. If he doesn't have a way to tow it there, he's only going to get the $50-100 that scrappers pay.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 PM
JR318
Veteran

If it were me aslong as the truck had the parts you are needing offer $300 to start since you will be the one paying to have it moved and plus its not to low of an offer for someone to be insulted just IMO.

Quick Reply: Oppourtunity to pick up anther one.