1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

longbed/single cab with camper shell - need pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Motorcharge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longbed/single cab with camper shell - need pics

I know this is tech, but the general section is always pretty dead so I posted this here intentionally.

As per the title I need a picture of a first gen single cab/long bed with a camper shell. I need it to be a straight sideshot. Prefer the shell be the same color and single layer, but the higher/raised ones will work too.

Getting tired of my single cab so I'm debating removing the rear panel of the cab and the the bed, bed rails, ect and extending the roof/sides to the end of the bed to turn into an SUV. I've already got the Cherokee seats up front and saved the bench seat. Figure I can install it and some seatbelts in the back for second row seating and a Wrangler/CJ rear bench seat further back between the rear wheel wells.

Anyway I need the side shot with the shell to fill the gaps in photoshop to get an idea of how it would look. If I do it I'll be fabbing the rear in pipe and sheet metal, not a camper shell but the look should be similar.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:18 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I knew someone already did it. You don't know how long I just spent finding this link. It was in the Roll call post up pics.

Reminds me of a RamCharger. Check out his photo album.
http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/...rbs/?start=all
Name:  500.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  166.0 KB

Name:  037.jpg
Views: 3348
Size:  166.6 KB

As for some side photos here is one from the Roll call. Scroll through all the pages and the before and after there are tons of camper shells/toppers not to many SCSB's but still 1st Gens.
Name:  IMGP8906.jpg
Views: 3122
Size:  125.4 KB

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 05-25-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:41 AM
Motorcharge
Professional

I have no idea, but I certainly appreciate it. Definitely leaning more towards it now, esp considering I'll have even more room than he does.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

I've got 9 days off work starting the second, seriously considering it during those days off, though I'm scrapping the solid rear and just framing in support for a soft top. I've got the hardware for one I had made for a 2 door Jeep Cherokee I had already. It'll retain the pickup look, but give me a lot more room to lean back and still give me a second row of seating and still have a decent cargo area. I scored a few seatbelts for free at work today too. Subaru has a seat belt recall on the rear middle seat belt on the 12' Foresters. Nothing wrong with them at all they were just too long for some child safety seats so we have a ton of them laying around because it effected pretty much ever 2012 Forester.

On an unrelated note how long did you say before that your front solid axle swap took? I'm debating a 4x4 conversion with a Dana 30/Cherokee front end. Both trucks are really similar in size and the frame/unibody are similar. I don't think they'll require nearly as much frame modification as your D44, plus I can get the parts a lot cheaper and the lug pattern, width, ect will be the same.

Last edited by Motorcharge; 05-25-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorcharge
On an unrelated note how long did you say before that your front solid axle swap took? I'm debating a 4x4 conversion with a Dana 30/Cherokee front end. Both trucks are really similar in size and the frame/unibody are similar. I don't think they'll require nearly as much frame modification as your D44, plus I can get the parts a lot cheaper and the lug pattern, width, ect will be the same.
For me it took 6 months, I planned for 1-2 months, but with little time to work on it only a few hours on the one day of the weekend it stretched out. Also without a strong enough welder to weld to the frame a lot of time was waiting for the welder. Total for it all was about $2,000

If you got the time go for it. Plan it out, plan out for more time and money then you think.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
For me it took 6 months, I planned for 1-2 months, but with little time to work on it only a few hours on the one day of the weekend it stretched out. Also without a strong enough welder to weld to the frame a lot of time was waiting for the welder. Total for it all was about $2,000

If you got the time go for it. Plan it out, plan out for more time and money then you think.
I meant actual install time, but yeah. I can get the parts cheap and I have access to a plasma cutter and welding equipment and confident enough in my welds to do it myself. What exactly cost you so much, having someone else do the welding?

I've got access to lifts at work and a full machine shop so other than parts I don't see where the high cost is coming from.

Ideally I'd like to do it during my vacation since it's my DD, but realistically I think it will be a while.

Quick Reply: longbed/single cab with camper shell - need pics