1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rear end rebuild prep

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 AM
grswat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end rebuild prep

Greetings. I am getting ready to rebuild my rear end and swap from 3.55 to 2.94 gears. I am also going to be putting 11 inch drums on from a Durango. I'm trying to determine if I have everything I need. Sofar I have the ring and pinion which includes the pinion bearing/seal/crush sleeve, the drum setups (backing plates, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, drums), inner diff bearings, wheel bearings/seals, and gear lube. My truck does have the factory lsd which I am assuming is still fine as it spins both tires in a straight line and opens up when turning.

Anybody see anything that I missed? Does anyone know if the parking brake cables hooks up to the 11 inch the same as the 10 inch? Anyone ever been able to find an aftermarket aluminum cover for the 8.25 rear end?

Thanks everyone for your responses. I can post step by step with pictures if anyone would like me to.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you got it all. But I'm not to sure if the 11in came on the Chry 8.25 axle, so I'm not sure if it will drop right on. I know the Chry 9.25 came with 11in. I'm interested to see if it all works out.

Why are you going with such a high ratio? Are you looking to gain on high end speed? Its going to take off the line like a dog, very slow. Typically that high of ratios are for non-overdrive transmissions.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Chrysler put 11 inchers on 8-1/4s way back in the 70s and 80s on that differential. I ahve had several trucks, a B 250 van, and 2 ex police Diplomats that had 11 in brakes on an 8-1/4.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:19 AM
grswat
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Durango I got everything off of had an 8.25 rear end. I haven't looked at the brake cables on mine in such a long time I couldn't remember how they hooked up. I figure worst case I will set it up without a parking brake at first.

As for the rear gear I am going for gas mileage. And if I am correct it will take off in a "shorter" gear than when it had the automatic.

Auto first is 2.45 * 3.55 rear end = 8.7, manual first is 4.01 * 2.94 rear = 11.79.

Idle speed with auto and original gears = 4.8 mph, idle with manual and new gears = 3.5 mph

And on the top end 70 mph with the auto setup is 2059 rpm and with the manual setup 1804 rpm.

Of course this is all on paper by math but it seems like I will be getting the best of all worlds. I know i'll be sacrificing some of the power/fun with the current manual/3.55 setup.

To answer one of my own questions Jegs has a diff cover for $265! The factory one will work just fine for that price.

Quick Reply: Rear end rebuild prep