1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Club cab owners Click here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 AM
ngtyler1s
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club cab owners Click here!

I have a nice tip for everyone that owns a 1st gen club cab dakota that doesn't seem to be posted on here yet. I don't know about anyone else, but I hated the fact that there's only one dome light in the back of the cab which *******ly leaves the front dark at night. A simple modification to this is I installed a donnely rearview mirror that has maplights in it. These are commonly used in GM cars. Can be found on eBay really cheap. The mirrors slide right on the existing button thats already on your windshield. All you have to do is run wires back to the rear dome light. The mirrors have three wires. One positive + and two grounds -. There is a constant +12v and a switched ground supplied to the rear dome light. Youll want to tap into these to power the mirror lights so that the lights on the mirrors come on when the door is opened. As for the 2nd ground, you just ground it anywhere you can (this wire supplies the ground so that you can turn on the maplights by the switches on the mirror). The finished product looks totally factory and good. The only difficult part to this job is having to take the sunvisor clips out to let down the headliner a little and run/pull wire to the rear dome light with a coathanger.

Attached Thumbnails Club cab owners Click here!-img_20120703_160448.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome! Easy upgrade and it REALLY should have came like this from factory.

When I first got the Dakota a good 10 years ago that was the first thing I did. I swapped the mirror from my Trans Am before I sold it, since I knew how bad the stock dome light was.

Just to give others the idea of what can be done.

A few others installed LED dome light bulbs which are brighter then stock.

Also the few who have the factory overhead console don't have to much of a problem with lighting.

Last month or 2 I also installed an overhead console with lights. Now talk about bright. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...e-install.html

Old 07-07-2012, 12:07 AM
JR318
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey crazy did you just mount the straps to the sun visor clips and to the console? Is it mounted solid or does the side towards the dome light flop against the headliner.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JR318
Hey crazy did you just mount the straps to the sun visor clips and to the console? Is it mounted solid or does the side towards the dome light flop against the headliner.
Yes I mounted the brackets to the sun visor bolt and I drilled in another bolt just a little down where there is still an interior support bracket before it is just the roof sheet metal. I bent the bracket where it would hold the console tight against the top. During speed bumps ect it holds on tight.

Quick Reply: Club cab owners Click here!