1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

v6 cranks a lot before start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 PM
bran1har
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v6 cranks a lot before start

My dad just got a used 96 dakota v6 manual trans. When the engine is cold, he noticed that when he turns the key the engine cranks over a few times before it starts but then everything is fine. But if the engine is hot it just starts right up. He is worried that in the winter when its really cold it isn't going to start. So far we have replaced the wires and plugs but no difference and also the battery. It turns over like 3 times before starting, he thinks it should start right up. Is this normal?

Also when the engine is idling it makes this very soft rattling sound that is concerning him. It sounds like the timing chain. Does this mean it should be replaced? What should be done to correct this problem. The engine has 116,000 miles.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:11 PM
v6dakota95
Amateur

mine use to do that, i changed the fuel pump and it started right up after that and still does. just take off the bed and change it dont drop the tank its a pain to do it that way.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a check valve inside the fuel pump to hold the fuel pressure when the pump isn't running for fast starts. That can fail and cause poor start up when left sitting for periods at a time. It is not replaceable. You would have replace the entire fuel pump sending unit or install an universal check valve. The FAQ's in this section has a great write up. I would test the fuel pressure to see if that is what it is doing dropping overnight.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:40 PM
bran1har
Rookie

Thanks for all the info. Im going to order a new fuel assembly soon and put it in. I need one anyway because the fuel level float is broke. I'll start a new thread on the timing chain, that im also not sure about.

Quick Reply: v6 cranks a lot before start