1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

HELP Trans Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Ging93kota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok finally got some time to really look at the truck. it gave me 3 codes 12, 15, 55. according to the FAQ1 12 and 55 are normal while 15 is no signal from Vehicle speed sensor. Im thinking i need to replace the sensor im going to check the connections first and test the sensor befor i buy i new one. has anyone ever changed the speed sensor on there truck and if so is it easy and do you have any tips.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM
ZacoWacko

I haven't yet, but that is my next stop

Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ging93kota
Ok finally got some time to really look at the truck. it gave me 3 codes 12, 15, 55. according to the FAQ1 12 and 55 are normal while 15 is no signal from Vehicle speed sensor. Im thinking i need to replace the sensor im going to check the connections first and test the sensor befor i buy i new one. has anyone ever changed the speed sensor on there truck and if so is it easy and do you have any tips.
It is very easy. I did mine about 2 years ago. It's just one bolt on the rear of the tranny housing (2wd), (i believe) in the rear of the transfer case on a 4x4. It's the big bolt, not the little one thats holding the clamp looking thing. if 93 or older, there will be the speedo cable and the wiring clip, if 94 or older, there will only be the wiring clip. pull the old one out, and slide the new one in and do everything back up.

As for my problem, i found a partially broken wire to the coolant temp sensor. What I was wondering is if you unplug that sensor, should the tranny get its gears back or drop overdrive as a failsafe? No code for the coolant temp sensor, but in the morning, it idles really rough until its warmed up, so next time I'm at the wrecker, I'm gunna cut that wire clip out and splice it in on mine. I will let you guys know what happens from there when I get around to trying the solution

Last edited by RockGuardedDak; 08-29-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 AM
Ging93kota

Hey thanks rockguardeddak im gonna do mine tomorrow hope it goes good. and i think it would put the trans in to safe mode whitch would keep it from using O/D.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ging93kota
Hey thanks rockguardeddak im gonna do mine tomorrow hope it goes good. and i think it would put the trans in to safe mode whitch would keep it from using O/D.
Thanks. That's what I figure too

Quick Reply: HELP Trans Issues