1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Stripped out caliper bolt hole...help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eli346
http://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_sock...ted_steel.aspx

This ones close I can't find the actual one again at the moment though
Take a look at the thread size and then the size of the smooth part the caliper slides on on the caliper bolts you bought. The threaded end is smaller than the smooth slide end. Thread a bolt into the knuckle and it'd going to be too small to fit inside the caliper slide area.

Again I say...A BOLT & NUT WILL NOT WORK!!!!!

Old 09-01-2012, 01:27 PM
eli346
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.boneham.co.uk/ShowProduct...CategoryID=181

I just have to get the right length and head size

Old 09-01-2012, 10:24 PM
JR318
Veteran

Im going through the same thing on a buddies little chevy cavalier. The front passenger side brake caliper was bad and missing a bolt. I installed a new caliper and the top bolt wont tighten up cause the threads are stripped in the spindle. He dont want to pay the $88 for the helicoil kit for it so he wants me to thread it with a standard bolt. The threads for stock is M11X1.5 what will be the closest size in a standard bolt? It will have to be a hair larger for the threads but not sure if the spacer is large enough.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:00 AM
peshman
Default Just seems a lot easier to tap it and use a bolt. It'll be stronger and save me $35 o

Use the helicoil kit and the original size bolt. If you screw it up you will have screwed up brakes (spell that UNSAFE) and you will end up spending a lot more for a new knuckle. In this case the $35 helicoil kit is the cheaper way to go. Always DO IT RIGHT or you will end up doing it over.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:17 AM
eli346

Will the helicoil still work with the hole being so worn out? Does anyone know if the oversize caliper bolt will still work with the helicoil

Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 PM
eli346

Helicoil and new pins are on they're way along with new wiper blades. One thing i need help with is the wiper blade is hitting the hood when it comes down how do i fix that?

Old 09-03-2012, 05:35 PM
peshman

Lift the wiper arm and set the lock to hold the arm up. Then lift straight up on the wiper arm at the spindle to remove the wiper arm from the spindle and you will see that it can be positioned at any position. It may take a bit of jiggling to get it off the first time if they haven't been off before. Put it back on with the wipers parked and make sure that the blades are positioned near the bottom of the windshield but not touching the hood. Keep taking it off and putting it back on until you get it right. It's not difficult.

Quick Reply: Stripped out caliper bolt hole...help!