1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 Dakota Idle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:55 PM
bstoriale
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Dakota Idle Problems

Hi all,

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota 4x4, V6 with automatic transmission.

Lately when I come to a stop at a light and the truck has to idle for a while it starts idling rough, and then the rpms start to bounce between 3k and 4k and the truck starts shaking and bucking, like if I step off the break it will surge forward, and then it stalls. It starts right back up and I am able to drive but it hesitates and then surges and then hesitates and so on. I've found that if I pump the gas that I can get it to come out of it, but I am seriously lost as to what the problem is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 AM
JR318
Veteran

I would start by pulling the throttle body off and cleaning it very well. Also pull the iac valve and clean it and the area inside the throttle body where the iac valve goes. If that doesnt fix the problem you may need a tune-up also. Just remember on the idle air control valve that they are known to go bad and when you replace it the new one has a very good chance of being bad out of the box. There has been alot of people that have had to replace there iac valve several times to get a good one. Im not sure if the dealer iac valve is known for the same problem but i know all the little chain stores have the same issue. Crazy should be able to tell you if the dealer part is known to fail also or not. If the dealer part is a dependable part im sure it will cost more but it may save alot of heartache trying to get a known good one. Have you checked the codes to see if there are any present?

Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 AM
JR318
Veteran

Here is a link to another members problem he was having with his truck. It sounds very similar to your problem. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...found-out.html

Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

What about changing the fuel filter?

Quick Reply: 1995 Dakota Idle Problems