1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Headlights going out while driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 PM
eli346
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights going out while driving

My headlights were going out while driving so i replaced the pull switch figuring that's the problem but that didn't fix it still the same issue. Something is heating up and the headlights go out then i can shut them off for a while and they will work again for a few minutes then start going out again. What should i check now?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

From factory the headlights don't use relays for the headlights which put a high amperage draw on the switch which has an internal circuit barker that is tripping due to overloading. The best thing to do is install individual relays to draw less power from the switch to work the lamps.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 09-18-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:26 PM
eli346

And how might I do that?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 PM
One to Remember
Rookie

however u want. u could splice power from the lights and send it to a radio amp, radio, anything u can think of that draws power. is it just ur head lights tho? no back lights? u could always wire the back lights to the head lights since they come on at the same time or vice versa and that way both bulbs would draw the same juice and the wire could get a break.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:40 AM
cd36
Professional

I'd like to revisit this topic. I have a 1991 Dakota doing the exact same thing, and me fiddling with the switch seemed to cause them to work, so I figured it was the switch that was bad. I did notice that high beams were worse than low beams for causing the lights to cut out.

I got a new switch I was going to put in to see if it works, but it doesn't sound hopeful from this. Do you guys just put a relay only on the headlights or do you put it on all lights? Does anyone have a schematic showing what all the wires on the connector on the headlight switch do? I figure I could just wire it up under the dash and splice in right at the connector.

Run the 12V hot wire both to the switch and to the supply side of the relay. I'd cut the headlight out wire from the switch, and put it to the load side of the relay, then run a new headlight out wire from the switch to the coil side of the relay, then to ground.

Does anyone know how much amperage the lights will draw on highbeam? Just want to make sure I get a properly sized relay, and I want to put a fuse before the relay, just in case.

Thanks!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 PM
nemesis158
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a guide i saw on another website about using relays for the headlights:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 AM
eli346

I put in the relay and it fixed mine. I did have a diagram drawn up ill see if I can find it.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 AM
eli346

Originally Posted by cd36
I'd like to revisit this topic. I have a 1991 Dakota doing the exact same thing, and me fiddling with the switch seemed to cause them to work, so I figured it was the switch that was bad. I did notice that high beams were worse than low beams for causing the lights to cut out.

I got a new switch I was going to put in to see if it works, but it doesn't sound hopeful from this. Do you guys just put a relay only on the headlights or do you put it on all lights? Does anyone have a schematic showing what all the wires on the connector on the headlight switch do? I figure I could just wire it up under the dash and splice in right at the connector.

Run the 12V hot wire both to the switch and to the supply side of the relay. I'd cut the headlight out wire from the switch, and put it to the load side of the relay, then run a new headlight out wire from the switch to the coil side of the relay, then to ground.

Does anyone know how much amperage the lights will draw on highbeam? Just want to make sure I get a properly sized relay, and I want to put a fuse before the relay, just in case.

Thanks!
http://www.4shared.com/office/yMB8qj..._Diagrams.html

Let me know if this works for you. The headlight switch diagram is on page 133

Last edited by eli346; 12-01-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '93 just started doing that. I thought mine was the high/low beam switch, but maybe not. Got to fix it.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM
WRXCarl
Professional

Originally Posted by eli346
http://www.4shared.com/office/yMB8qj..._Diagrams.html

Let me know if this works for you. The headlight switch diagram is on page 133
Off-Topic. Can you post up a bigger picture of your truck? I see cab lights and I've been wanting to add some to my truck. Looks great in the small picture!

Quick Reply: Headlights going out while driving