1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dakota has a Strange Hiss/Moan Noise when brake pedal is applied or released

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:16 AM
wesmc55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Dakota has a Strange Hiss/Moan Noise when brake pedal is applied or released

Hello all..............

Still new here I tried to search for this problem. I found many other brake problems but not this one. I have bought a 94 Dak extended cab with 5.2L, Auto trans for fun it has 160k on it but it runs, shifts great, no oil leaks or smoke just a lot of little problems. I was driving today with driver side window down and every time I step on the brake pedal I hear a low moan with a slight hiss. The same noise happens as I release the brake pedal. I don't think the rear brakes are working well, it seems and feels like the front brakes are doing all the stopping. The moan/hiss sounds like it's coming from about under the gas tank area on driver side behind cab. Anyone had this happen? Also the ABS light is on. I haven't had time to get under it to check it out. Thought one of you might have had this problem.

I had the stopping problem on my 92 Dak but it is a single cab, short bed with a 3.9L. The proportioning valve on the 92 was not pushing fluid to the back brakes very well. After much power bleeding and changing rubber brake lines on the front the 92 got much better. The 92 only has about 115k and it's only been owned by my dad, who gave it to me in 1995. He passed away from Alzheimer's in 2009. I will keep this truck for ever because of that. It may not be running or driving but I will keep it.

I have a lot of work to do with power window/door lock switches. Some of the buttons have pushed out of door panel and reside inside the door somewhere.

Thank you all in this forum. There is so much information and just to know that all of you are working on problems helps drive me.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:07 AM
POS93SPRT

First thing i would do is have someone hit the brakes for you and climb under the back and pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Sounds like a broken line.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-14-2012, 10:04 PM
wesmc55

Thanks POS93SPRT for answering. I should have noted it doesn't do this sitting still. Just as you roll to a stop or start off from a stop. But just sitting there and pressing brake doesn't cause the problem. Dodge's you got to Love them.
Thanks

Old 10-14-2012, 10:40 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

hiss when brake pedal pressed; bad brake booster it has a leak in the diaphragm seen it many times have replaced the booster on 2 of my vehicles the pasr few years because of this a booster is about the only brake component (ok maybe a drum if I measured it and verified it was within spec first) that i would ever consider replacing with something used from a yard not super common but it does happen.

Quick Reply: 94 Dakota has a Strange Hiss/Moan Noise when brake pedal is applied or released