1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Not a Dakota? But please help if possible..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 AM
JR318
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 97 Z71 with the 5.7 vortex and I done a complete tune-up before leaving for the beach. After about 200 miles the truck started skipping, shaking, and running like crap. I could turn the ac off and it would run better but not perfect. We finally made it to the beach and while we were there I installed another set of wires thinking I could have had a bad wire since I had installed headers. On our way back it started acting up again after 100 miles. I stopped by a napa and got a new fuel filter but that didn't help either. When we got home I took the truck to a buddies shop and ran it on the snapon solus pro scanner. We found the engine had multiple misfires. We pulled the sparkplugs and found they had given me the wrong sparkplugs when I bought them (ac delco). The heat range was different from oem plug number and caused the ceramic to crack and they were all carbon tracking. I installed a new set of plugs and it ran perfect. But the truck only acted up when under a load ( ac on, going uphill, etc)

Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 AM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeosKota
Transmission seems to be working fine, it shifts just fine when i can keep the engine running in gear, (Confusing huh!) it was replaced with a rebuilt one less then 3 months ago. I checked for codes, no codes where stored.

Yes automatic, fluids are fine, cables are fine, No, the engine itself bogs down, it revs ok out of gear, even in gear with my foot of the brake, the engine wants to die.

No misses at idle, purrs like a kitten, firing order is correct, went over it several times.

The Y-pipe/cat. converter was replaced last week, this problem was happening prior to replacing it.
Thanks for all the suggestions, like i said, i guess you would have to hear and drive it to see what im talking about. If i nurse the pedal i can get it to run upto at least 60. EGR valve comes today ill install it tomorrow and see what happens. There isnt much i cant fix, or diagnose im pretty mechanically inclined but this one has me stumped. Will update. thanks.

Sounds like a bad torque converter install, or broken blades. Especially since you had recent tranny work. Very suspicious.

Quick Reply: Not a Dakota? But please help if possible..