1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

beer cap headliner

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:56 PM
daksnbeers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beer cap headliner

Alright, So I've been saving up my beer caps wanting to do something cool with them. At first i ofcourse thought to make a beer pong table. But then I thought it would be cool to do a headliner (only hting left of the original liner is the isulation). My idea was to get a card board box from a fridge or washing machine or tv w/e something big enough to cut to fit without multiple pieces. I was then planing to fit it in take it out and spray the side that would be visible black. Then I was going to hot glue the caps on.
So far i have half a gallon bag full of budlight caps counted them the other day and had about 270 or a little under 2 sq feet. I also wanted to get budweiser caqps to make the ram design on it. It will be a few months till i collect enough caps. My house hold averages 120 beers a week (bad for three people?) Also after i get all the caps on I was going to put a thin sheet of plexiglass over it maybe some leds in there for a better effect.

I do live in florida so only draw back is it being hotter than hell during the summer and i hope it doesn't melt the hot glue.

Any other ideas for putting the caps on?

I think this is a cool idea couldn't find it done in any vehicle online so far.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:35 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Sounds like a pretty cool idea, but the heat will melt that glue quick, might have to tack them or rivet through them into the cardboard.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:50 PM
daksnbeers
Professional

Talked about this with my dad a little earlier he suggested clear contruction silicon should fair better in the heat.

does any one know if i can get a gauge of plexiglass thin enough to bend to the contors of roof?

Also i thought of weight being an issue I weighed 1 beer cap with and without the rubber seal in it. With it's 2 grams without 1.7.

Haven't messured to be sure of how many caps I need but i figured 2500 at the most. so 2500 caps times 2 grams is going to be around 11 pounds.

plus the plexiglass if i can get some to work for this (mostly want it to provide some structure to the weight.) so maybe a 15 pound headliner?
So i was thinking beauty screws or something. maybe even to give it some structure in the middle of it get one of those roof consols with the directional and temp gauges in it.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 PM
daksnbeers
Professional

did a rough messurement and some math figured i'll need 2304 caps... If i can get 200 caps a week it will take almost 10 more weeks.. so looks like a new years pressent for my truck lol. Also i figured if i take out the rubber seal as i get them everyday it will take 20-30 mins a day of work till then and will shave off 2 pounds. Sounds worth it if less risk of sag.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:00 PM
craZivn
Rookie

That is an awesome idea! I think the plexiglas will hold up the liner just fine, depending on what you screw it up into. Not sure what headliner-base is made of.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 PM
JR318
Veteran

I think you have way to much free time lol

Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 PM
jnich4

Thats awesome! Last thing that I did with beer caps were "beer cap dreads"....

Old 10-27-2012, 03:05 PM
daksnbeers
Professional

Originally Posted by JR318
I think you have way to much free time lol

I'm 19, no job, graduated hs. So yes, I have alot of free time.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 PM
daksnbeers
Professional

Originally Posted by jnich4
Thats awesome! Last thing that I did with beer caps were "beer cap dreads"....
Ha nice.

recounted my caps today at 478 plus 2 24 packs in the fridge.

Decided against taking out all the rubber seals. Still wondering what to do to cover them up. I do want something to keep the caps from falling off one by one once i get it in. Putting alot of time into a headliner so I want it to be worth it.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM
daksnbeers
Professional

Now have about 1k caps. It seems as i will run out of time to collect though because I'm using budlight caps which currently have the ffl bottles and those stop at the end of december so i will keep collecting and at the end of december do a re-count If I don't have enough I'm opting for two cornhole boards and a beer pong table so atleast I will not be bored while collecting The regular budlight caps..

Quick Reply: beer cap headliner