1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

ways to make my dakota a little faster??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:33 PM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not easier, more expensive to get a new truck.

It really is pretty straight forward swapping the engine out. The engine mounts are even the same.

All you need is heftier shocks, Motor, PCM, wiring harness that comes with the motor(if you can pull a 318 out of another dakota if your lucky enough), exhuast manifolds(unless you get a set of headers) and a trans beef up. Gauge cluster with tach is recommended.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Originally Posted by inuchan187
don't get spark plugs and wires until you actually need new ones. the performance increase isn't noticable. get a k&n filter that drops into your stock intake and remove the piece of plastic on the grille that covers the intake pipe. Buy a glasspack and replace your muffler keeping the rest of the stock exhaust. after that, you may as well get a v8. a 318 magnum in good condition can be found for $300. you would be spending that much on plugs, wires, filter, and exhaust kit, so why not add 2 cylinders instead. For well under $1000 including the engine, you could have 350 hp vs spending $1000 on the v6 being lucky to reach 250 hp
Exhaust and intake will not increase the 318's horsepower by that much.
The most HP the 318 had in our Generation of Dakota was around 235 which was from 92-93 because of the 2 1/2" Exhaust manifolds. Modifying your intake and exhaust is always a good thing to do but the overall performance increases are minimal. With a good system you'd be doing quite well if you saw a 10-15HP Increase.

But I do agree swapping to the 318 is a much better idea then upgrading the V6(Unless you're attached to the motor like some are and they've done pretty well with them) But for sacrificing 1-3 MPG you get an engine with 40-60 more HP (Depending on the year)

From what I've read the swap is very easy. Electrical wise you can simply add two more injector wires and put in the V8 PCM. Engine wise you just need to get a new fan shroud and the V8 Transmission. The ones that came with the V6 were not built to handle the HP/Torque the V8's put out. Upgrading one would be a waste of money if you ever plan on doing any sort of mods to the 318. Obviously there are a few things I'm forgetting but you can find all the info about the swap in the FAQ 2 thats stickied on the top of the Gen 1 forum.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:54 AM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

Originally Posted by Moparornocar39
I have a 1990 Dodge Dakota with a 3.9l v6 and i really wanna give it some more get up and go. I was thinking put in 8 mm spark plug wires platnium spark plugs k and n air filter but idk what else i could do? also should i put a cold air intake even though my truck already has a factory setup air intake? any input would be appreciated. thanks!
You guys realize the O.P. is talking about a 1990 Dakota, right? He's going to need a new wiring harness, not just adding wiring for two injectors. He's going from throttle body injection to multi-port if he switches to a Magnum. Also he's got the shorter engine bay, good luck with the cooling fan fitment. He's going to need an engine, wiring harness, PCM, transmission (his won't hold the power), and figure out a cooling fan. He's also going to need the brackets and possibly the P/S pump, A/C compressor with lines, and alternator for a Magnum. When the O.P. states:

Originally Posted by Moparornocar39
so its pretty much cheaper and less hassle to get a newer truck?lol
because i've never switched engines out before and itd seem like i could esily screw something up lol
It makes me think this is way beyond his abilities and he'd be better off buying a '92 + Dakota with a 5.2 already in it. Then it's simple things like an exhaust, larger throttle body, and maybe the kegger mod.

A.J.

Quick Reply: ways to make my dakota a little faster??