1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:46 AM
DakotaRT1993
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dakotaboy87: Just FYI, there is the clutch master cylinder mounted to the firewall which is attached to the pedal (think brake master cylinder but smaller) and then there is the slave cylinder that is mounted on the outside of the trans (in some cases inside as an assembly with the throw out bearing). The clutch master cylinder supplies the hydraulic pressure through a line to the slave cylinder when the pedal is pushed, the slave cylinder then pushes on the clutch fork which releases the clutch disc from contact with the flywheel.

You may want to grab the steering column plastics as well, to get rid of the column shifter for aesthetics. Plus the shifter and boot, unless you decide to put in a Hurst

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Dakotagirl1gen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5.2 truck. There's quite a bit to it. The 5 speed transmission is shorter so the transferr case location will move forward which requires both driveshafts to be changed on the auto truck. Not bad if they are both reg can short bed trucks cause you can us then out of he donor truck. I had to get both mine made cause my donor truck was a reg cab with a bad front shaft. The clutch assembly is all 1 pc hydraulic. If I remember correctly, I cut
It and then coupled it back together with some fittings from napa. You have to change the clutch/brake pedals which isn't too bad and then cut the hole which I think may be stenciled in the cab already. Your trouble could be in the ECM. My 1992 didn't control the transmiossion but the new models
Do. You may have to swop an entire harness to make it all work. If both trucks are v6, the flywheel will work fine but you will have to add a pilot bearing to the auto engine. I cut all my exhaust out of the way and then welded it back when I was done to make it easier. All n all, the truck was way better and worth the effort, I gained 2 mpg in ever tank after the swop...

Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

no no harness swap needed just 2 wiring plugs that need dealt with; my 93 had a rubber body plug where the master cyl was supposed to poke thru the firewall. right beneath the brake booster/master.

Quick Reply: 5 speed swap