1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

About to Hard-Wire my Overdrive...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 AM
craZivn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to Hard-Wire my Overdrive...

Talk me down from the ledge here. Just replaced my PCM, all related sensors and still very intermittent overdrive.

The Gory Details:
OD works rarely. Once it kicks on for the first time, it works flawlessly for the rest of the trip. Kicks on at the proper speed, responds to the OD Off switch fine.
Shut the truck off for ten seconds, start it up and OD is gone again.

The Plan:
Hardwire a switch to the ground wire for each of the solenoids (Lockup and OD) and flick them on at the appropriate speeds.

The Question:
Am I going to damage the transmission by doing this? The computer is warranted and the solenoids are worth gambling with, but I'm not ready to do a tranny or OD rebuild yet.

Thanks!
Ivan

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 11-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Still sounds like bad wiring to and from the PCM or OD off switch. You said it LOOKS okay, but did you test the continuity to and from every single wire on the OD circuit?

Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 AM
craZivn
Rookie

No I didn't, but that's what I'm gonna do next. I jumped the gun and wired switches for the OD and lockup today. Lockup works, and has probably been working all along. I discovered that it is not always obvious when it engages.

Overdrive, however, is still on the far side of sporadic. I spliced into the wire at the OD Off switch in the dash for my "force overdrive" switch, so somewhere in between there and the solenoid is where my problem lies. Tomorrow I plan to test the OD wire at the transmission plug to see if I have to drop the pan. These switches are gonna be handy for testing if nothing else.

Thanks much, should have listened to you sooner and saved the money on a PCM! Will update when I find the problem.

Ivan

Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM
craZivn
Rookie

Update: Power is getting to the solenoid pack. Removed the solenoid pack and hooked it to the battery via test leads. 12v positive to the middle prong. Each solenoid clicked when it's prong was grounded. Neither one clicked back when power was removed though, I'm guessing they are simply re-opened by fluid pressure or something when not activated.

So, is it likely I got a bad solenoid? Or is the problem more likely to be in the hydraulics?

Quick Reply: About to Hard-Wire my Overdrive...