1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

wont start (yes, another wont start)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Dakota Darrell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start (yes, another wont start)

First of all let me say that this forum has been ALOT of help.
92 LE 3.9 2wd. 159xxx miles
we got this truck a little over a month ago. It had a rough idle. In gear and going it ran smooth and strong.
Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor and wires. Still idled rough. Replaced the IAC. Helped a little but same thing.
Read on here that the PLENUM gasket could be a cause for the rough idle. Replaced the plenum and intake gaskets. Removed distributor for easier install of intake. Got everything buttoned up. No start. Had someone come over looked at it. No codes (just 12 and 55. I read that this is just a cycle thing or something) Took coil to Auto Zone. Bad (low spark) Replaced. 4 hours and still no start. Talked to a local mechanic. He mentioned that when I pulled the distributor. The oil pump gear may have come out a little with it and dropped out of place. Sure chit it was. Moved it around until rotor lined up with the hash mark on the Hall Effect Switch. Started right up! AWESOME!!!!! Rough idle is gone. Revved it up a few times. Getting back fire from big exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold and the tube that goes into the back of the intake.
After about a min of running and me being excited that I finally got this thing running again. IT DIES!! It wont start again. Rechecked the rotor on TDC and that lines up.
I've read about the 3 wires soldered to the one. (Only ones I found were all blue) and the solder looks good. (this was also looked at before I got it to run again.
so now I am at a loss. I have until the end of today to get this thing running before the g/f beats my a$$ and makes me take it to a shop.
I have gone this far fixing the problem. I don't want a shop to steal my glory of getting it run and not die.

Sorry this was long winded. Just putting as much info about and what I have done to this point.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darrell

Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the 3 wires of the notorious splice your looking for are red. Should be just shy of the relay box next to the battery, was right behind it in the wire loom on my 93'.

Quick Reply: wont start (yes, another wont start)