1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Weak Heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 PM
SteelCityKota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak Heat

My 94' will blow a SLIGHT amount of heat after its been running for 20+ minutes, its just barley enough to defrost the windshield, but me or any other passengers are still shaking from the cold. Any idea what it could be? I have everything on full blast but I get just a tiny bit of heat..

Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Dakotaboy87
Professional

Try flushing your heater core out, sounds like its clogged. Of that doesn't work, try changing your thermostat.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:37 PM
inuchan187
Professional

make sure coolant overflow tank is at the mark on the tank and also make sure the radiator is fileld to the cap. If there is a small cap on the hose going to the cab, take it off and make sure the hose is full of coolant. If the radiator was full and the hose is not, there could be other problems. If the temp gauge inside the cab is not close to half way , change the thermostat. Make sure you put in either a 180 or 195 degree thermostat. Anything lower, and you will not get much heat. Make sure your air conditioning is not on. Look at the pulley and make sure the center part is not moving. If a/c is off and the center is spinning, you either have an electrical problem or need a new compressor.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my girlfriends wrangler she had no heat. Wound up replacing the entire cooling system. A heater core fixed the heat issue, but the inside of the rad was plugged solid and it was over heating, and the waterpump was going too. Nastiest cooling system I think I ever saw!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 AM
SteelCityKota

Im thinking it is possibly the thermostat, because last week I was in the mountains and it was roughly 15* and my temp gauge was just at a quarter of the way. And this was after driving for 45 minutes.

Quick Reply: Weak Heat