1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

CB radio question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 AM
scrappydakota
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome thanks i am gonna see if i can get a cheap cb

Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodger8691
Scrappy: i got everything on amazon.com the antenna and the mount are sold separatly along with the spring for the antenna here are the links

mount: http://www.amazon.com/Firestik-Fire-...ake+hole+mount

antenna: http://www.amazon.com/Firestick-II-f...ick+cb+antenna

Marcar: its mounte on the bed by two metal plates and the coax cable connects to them and it grounds its self then i ran the wire into that hole on the side under the bedrail and behind the quarter then up front of the bed i found a pre existing hole then went under the cab and found a rubber gromit that i cut a holein and that came up behind the pannel inside then ran it under the moldings and up into the cd radio. your right it does seem like a connection problem i just dont know enough about the set up of these things to figure it out i know there a pain to get working right but once you do your pretty much set im thinking its in the radio its self or the antenna isnt grounded right i might just run a ground wire from the antenna mount to a bolt under the truck
Given the way it's mounted...is it bare metal around the stake hole where the top plate meets the bed rail or is there still paint there? I don't know if you're supposed to but if that's how it grounds, perhaps if it's not bare, the paint isn't allowing a solid ground? Just a thought cause I know that's always mattered whenever I did any car audio stuff or wiring in general.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:51 PM
dodger8691
Professional

Scrappy: check amazon they have them from $40-$500 just make sure you read thencustomer reviews and see what others say about it first

Melody: the rail is still painted but the instructions said to sand the little flapped under the rail to bare metal so indidnbut seeing that there so thin on our truck I'm thinking it wasn't enough

Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Your post is a little understandable lol meaning I'm not sure if you sanded it down or not...mostly because "indidnbut " looks like a mix of "I did" and "I didn't"...and "but"...so I'm just gonna say...Well hell, sand it down to bare metal and then let us know. I don't know about you, but where I am, bare metal isn't the best, but it helps/works. I'm sure there's some sort of dielectric grease or something that could help/prevent corrosion/rust and hopefully you'll get a solid connection.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 PM
dodger8691
Professional

i did not sand down the top of the rail there is a gasket there anyway i did sand down the flaps in the stake hole like the instructions said to do. bare metal is not a good idea here if you are planning on keeping the vehical sorry about the run on words im having issues seeing straight due to medications from a dental issue lol

Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Yeah, I don't recommend too much bare metal where either of us are haha and no harm...pretty sure I was a little tipsy at the time trying to read it anyway.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:22 AM
WRXCarl
Professional

I would add a separate ground wire from one of the screws on the mount to the frame. Many of these stake hole mounts actually come with that.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:15 PM
dodger8691
Professional

Yea I'm going to do that first chance imnfree with some daylight. And WRXcarl were did you get that push bar I cant find one made for my truck anywere

Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Yea I'm going to do that first chance imnfree with some daylight. And WRXcarl were did you get that push bar I cant find one made for my truck anywere
I think most, if not all frame mounted brush guards/bull bars for 2nd gens fit our trucks with little to no fabricating.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 PM
WRXCarl
Professional

Craigslist. For $20. Guy said he had it on his 91. It fits around the plastic like a glove (although I ripped mine off cause it was beat to hell). I had to drill 4 holes in the bumper brackets too mount it.

Quick Reply: CB radio question