1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

blower motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Robbie88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blower motor

okay so on my 91 dakota the heater blows hot air but it doesnt blow really hard even on high it just just hardly comes out of the vents. is this a common problem or do i need a new blower motor any advice will help its freezing at 6am on the drive to work.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 AM
keilkravec
Veteran

if you can hear it and it's not coming out of the vents, you have a vaccum leak, its the 3-way T line almost right off the vaccum ball.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Robbie88

it comes out of the vents just not really hard like the blower motor is not blowing hard enough

Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad heat in the cab could be any number of things...

Just off the top of my head...

Do you get all the fan speeds ?
(The blower resistor on the passenger side firewall could be bad)

Does the fan make sounds like a bearing failing ?

Do you get more air flow when it's just pulling air from outside ?
(if so, it's possible that the heater core is externally clogged with leaves and debris)

Is the engine thermostat correct and working ?

Is the vacuum valve on the heater hose line in the engine compartment working and flowing fully ?
(If it's not working correctly you won't get much coolant into the heater core)

When I had the whole airbox out of mine, it was:

1) full of debris that prevented the internal door that selected airflow from closing fully.
2) the blower blade had a buildup of crap that reduced it's efficiency
3) the heat core had a build up of crap on one side too.

Hopefully it's not that.
Unfortunately taking that airbox out is a REAL pain...then the fun of taking it apart begins, so you can clean inside and wash the heater core externally.
It's an ugly job, but it's doable if you have the DIY skills

Before I even looked at that.. I'd look at every other possibility.

If you get the heater core internally flushed...make sure the shop who does the flush has done chryslers before and it's not some apprentice doing the job.

There is a guy at my local shop who worked for years in a rad shop. He's the only guy I trust to fully flush that heater core and also not damage it.
Like most places, he uses a water nozzle with a special air line attachment and flushes it both ways a couple times.
WARNING.. if not done right, it can prematurely destroy the heater core.
Water doesn't compress and when combined with a bunch of air pressure, there is a real risk of, literally swelling the heater core, thereby damaging it.
That is almost guaranteed to happen if they just pull the trigger wide open on the nozzle, right from the get go. That water and Air hits the cores.. and BAM.

My experience in regards to it's potential heat output:
I don't know what outdoor temps you are dealing with, but I can tell ya, when the factory heater core/system is working right, that heater can cook an egg.
I once had my convertible out in a -40 blizzard back '97, while volunteering hauling medical staff to hospitals. It had good heat, even without a winter front or cardboard behind the grill. Heck knows that the windchill was that day.

These Chrysler heater cores are awesome, but are prone to clogging, both internally and externally, for the same reason they work so well when maintained.
They have a lot of surface area (small passages) in a small area.

If anything the heater in our convertible was either COOK YOUR LEGS or OFF.
I tell ya.. it sure has extended the top down season.

If it's an aftermarket heater core.. then all bets are off.

Just my 2 cents...
the usual disclaimers apply.
I'm not a professional... it's your truck.. it's your fault if you take my opinion, try fix it on your own, screw things up or spend a lot of money.

Cheers

EDIT:

For more clarity:
-Just because it's putting out heat doesn't mean it's putting out the normal amount of heat.
-They don't blow a huge amount of air normally, but they sure keep the truck warm if needed.
-the vaccuum leak that "keilkravek" mentions is a good and easy thing to check, since the blower doors are vacuum activated.
-If you are not the original owner, there is a possibility that someone was under the dash at one time, and didn't reconnect the ducting correctly, so that now, the air is blowing into the dash instead of out of the vents.

Last edited by RobertMc; 12-14-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Robbie88

alright perfect thats what i was looking for thanks for the help hopefully it works after i try that

Old 12-16-2012, 02:04 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully it's nothing inside the heater box.
To get it out , you need to disconnect the A/C lines , heater coolant lines, a bunch of other stuff. And tear out half the dash.
Then you have the "fun" of opening the heater box.

Then assemble everything, top up the coolant, recharge the A/C........ etc UGH :P

Quick Reply: blower motor