1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Yep! Wont start again...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:39 PM
inuchan187
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look for a diagram of the fuel pump in the service manual and find out which wire is positive and negative. take off the connector and use a 12 volt battery and 2 wires to put power straight to the pump. if it works, you will need to read the wiring diagrams in the service manual and test for continuity with a multimeter. it's an easy process, just hook up the connectors to the end of each wire, but can be very time consuming.

There is a splice with 3 red wires going into one below the fuse box. take all the tape off and make sure all the wires are still connected to each other. This splice is known to fall apart in a lot of trucks.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:09 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stG92
Pump died on me. Had my father turn the key while I was near the tank listening and didn't hear the pump.I'm all done with after market for items like this.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android
what brand aftermarket? OE was carter and there are parts stors that still sell them; federated, NAPA come to mind; there are brands to avoid though... SPI among them. DON'T go to the dealer just to get tahts ame pump in a MOPAR box; Dodge contracted these out, they did not make the fuel pumps that came in tehse trucks new

and the last 3 times I bought from the dealer I wound up in a shouting match over my parts coming from other than the USA or canada;
I pd $48/ea for front rotors for my 97 Cherkee thinking I was getting the real stuff; nope the same damn Chimamade crap as the prts store wanted to sell me for $20, same parts store part number even stamped on the edge right next to the Mopar number.... after that I am back to avoiding teh dealer for parts like teh plague...I have heard taht since the bailout they are doing "cheapest supplier available" rather than OE Original parts across the parts counter.... clockspring for same cherokee came from freaking Taiwan, but I got it right from the Jeep parts counter

Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 PM
1stG92
Professional

Ty inuchan.Had a friend come by today to check electrical and the pump is fine.I have no spark from the distributor AGAIN! Gonna replace cap,rotor button and cam sensor tomorrow..

Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 PM
1stG92
Professional

Originally Posted by volaredon
what brand aftermarket? OE was carter and there are parts stors that still sell them; federated, NAPA come to mind; there are brands to avoid though... SPI among them. DON'T go to the dealer just to get tahts ame pump in a MOPAR box; Dodge contracted these out, they did not make the fuel pumps that came in tehse trucks new

and the last 3 times I bought from the dealer I wound up in a shouting match over my parts coming from other than the USA or canada;
I pd $48/ea for front rotors for my 97 Cherkee thinking I was getting the real stuff; nope the same damn Chimamade crap as the prts store wanted to sell me for $20, same parts store part number even stamped on the edge right next to the Mopar number.... after that I am back to avoiding teh dealer for parts like teh plague...I have heard taht since the bailout they are doing "cheapest supplier available" rather than OE Original parts across the parts counter.... clockspring for same cherokee came from freaking Taiwan, but I got it right from the Jeep parts counter
Airtex is the brand.Wasn't my problem though.Ive already in the past year had to change my distributor cap twice and also returned a 3 week old fuel pressure regulator.As cheap as these parts are made you would think we could buy them cheaper.We need to plow some of these damn malls down and bring back our factories.This country has gone from one that made things to one that buys things now its alll about qauntity not qaulity.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:53 PM
dobaroy
Veteran

Is there any way you can disconnect the auto shutdown? That could possibly eliminate a few problems. 1stG92, glad your fuel pump is OK. Wonder what is causing the spark to disappear all the time like that. And did the fuel regulator make any difference at all? We are going to change ours out in the next week or so.

Quick Reply: Yep! Wont start again...