1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Won't go into park shifts real hard

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won't go into park shifts real hard

First off I would like to apologize for making so many post just trying to learn. I recently bought a 1992 318 4x4 automatic. The shifter won't go into park after reverse its almost like it hits a wall won't even touch park. Also hates getting out of first gear ill have to push it to about 50km/h let off the gas it will roughly go into second and then it appears to be fine. Is it a linkage that's stopping it from going into park and could also screw up the shifting? Shoot some ideas at me. I've never done any thing with a tranny before so diagrams will be highly appreciated or descriptive sentences

Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

mine wont go into park either (but its a 5 speed stick LOL)

Old 02-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Cooreman
Veteran

So helpful.. Ahaha

Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

first check the fluid level, if its not that then the shift linkage might be out of adjustment, or the t.v. cable could be out of adjustment, or the filter could be clogged. on my 91 i had a problem with the throttle rod(same thing as the t.v. cable just an older setup) and after adjusting it my truck shifted better till the filter clogged and like a dimwit i ran it till my truck wouldnt shift before a changed it which, along with my idiot friend slamming it into reverse while trying to stop(mostly the result), led to the demise of my trans. lesson learned dont let idiots drive your truck...lol but i digress. i would start with checking the fluids and adjusting the shift linkage

Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 PM
kahanabob
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would eyeball it from under the hood drivers side and also from underneath while you have a helper shift it thru all the gears (engine off). look for binding or loose linkage points. there is a horizontal rod, drivers side, about top of the pan level, that has nylon bushings in the ends, they tend to crumble apart and fall out.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Cooreman
Veteran

Thanks guys! Ill check the linkages tomorrow if I can find them.. Aha

Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Richard Graves
Amateur

Originally Posted by kahanabob
i would eyeball it from under the hood drivers side and also from underneath while you have a helper shift it thru all the gears (engine off). look for binding or loose linkage points. there is a horizontal rod, drivers side, about top of the pan level, that has nylon bushings in the ends, they tend to crumble apart and fall out.
This happened to me. Freaked me out because reverse was all I had and I was in a hurry when it happened. Was to the point of calling a tow truck but decided to look under the hood and there it was. The horizontal rod had come out of the pivot point. I was able to put it back in and ran like that for a couple weeks until I was able to get another bushing. No problems since and the shifter even moves smoother now. The part was like $7 shipped. I'll try to find the link if you need it. (Mines a 92 with a 3.9)

Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Cooreman
Veteran

That would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Richard Graves
Amateur

Originally Posted by Cooreman
That would be highly appreciated! Thanks!

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/.../05211845.html

Looks like shipping was a bit more than I remembered, but it's still less than $20.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Cooreman
Veteran

Finally found a dipstick that actually goes into the tranny.. It's pooched pretty brown

Quick Reply: Won't go into park shifts real hard