1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'93 Dakota Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 AM
96Kooter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 Dakota Build Thread

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of sexyin' up a '93 v8 auto 4x4 dakota w/ 4" Trailmaster lift that I bought last year with the intentions of restoring/rebuilding it for about half the price of a new vehicle. I want to make a unique truck that turns heads. I've been stoppin' by a lot to gain ideas and insight. So far I've had a lot of minor work done to it, and now I'm starting to have the more costly things done (such as motor rebuild, transmission rebuild, paint, body work, etc.) The truck is currently my daily driver, no major problems. This week new wheels and tires will be going on (33/10.5/15 KM2's on 15x8 ION Alloys), and hopefully next week I'll get it in to have the transmission done.

Thoughts and Advice would be much appreciated.
Here is an outline of my plans:

Engine- New oil pump, hughes plenum repair kit, full gasket set, and also possibly a 390 stroker kit or top end build? I don't need excessive racing power but I want something more than stock that has a wow factor and some get up 'n go.

Transmission- Full Rebuild. Possibly a transgo shift kit? I've heard they can really increase the life and reliability of transmissions but don't know for sure.

Body- Fiberglass hood, already ordered. Smoked headlights and taillights. Black paint all around or maybe a red hood and cab similar to the dakota powerwagon paint scheme. Custom offroad bumpers.

I'm really excited about getting all of this done. All these 70 hour work weeks will finally pay off lol. All feedback is more than welcome!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 PM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

Sounds like a fun project, I'm building a 390 myself... well I almost have all the parts I want for it, just a few more things to buy and then have the engine work done. I'm trying to save up enough to finish it sometime in the next year, but who knows, having a family really puts a damper on ones spending lol. Good luck with your build, keep us posted.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:16 PM
96Kooter

Body lifted 2" for a total lift of 6". Got the new wheels and tires put on. Transmission rebuilt. Next on the list is to get the body or engine done, depends on how soon I find a decent donor truck.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your truck is already looking good, keep up the work I would like to see your progress! Where did you find your suspension lift? I've been searching but all I've got it they use to have it in back order and now it is non existent

Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 PM
96Kooter

I bought the truck with the suspension lift already installed. I didn't have any luck either when shopping for a suspension lift so I got a truck with one already installed lol. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 AM
MacDak
Professional

Now just look at that '93! Never been a better looking truck IMO! Sure love mine, more than ANY other vehicle I have ever owned, and that's been quite a few. Very interested in what you do. Especially the transmission rebuild.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 AM
T.C.
Professional

Nice truck buddy, I am doing the exact same with my truck, and getting it ready for the 2013 Western power cruise this July, keep it up.

Though I would like to mention that I don't think our pcm is capable in running a stroked 5.2L. Though I am not entirely sure about this and I hope I am wrong but I think our pcm would run the engine to lean and cause pre detenation. Though I think there are ways to get around this like finding a OBDI mopar preformance pcm, "which are probably wiped off the face of the earth, or going the route to change your system to OBDII or carb route.

Hopefully I am definately wrong in what I am talking about and that the OBDI pcm on the 5.2L is capable of running a stroked 5.2L and the OBDI 5.9L can run the 408.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:08 AM
keilkravec
Veteran

Summit still sells them I believe

Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 AM
shop.squadworks
Amateur

POSTER CHILD OF COOL DAKOTAS:
Originally Posted by 96Kooter

Body lifted 2" for a total lift of 6". Got the new wheels and tires put on. Transmission rebuilt. Next on the list is to get the body or engine done, depends on how soon I find a decent donor truck.
This is exactly the look I want.

Quick Reply: '93 Dakota Build Thread