1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Third times a charm..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 PM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third times a charm..

Well the last 2 5.9's I've snagged have been sold off for other problems or other reasons, hopefully this is it now.

Managed to snag a 5.9 from a 00' 4x4 Durango for pretty cheap. Just need to know what transmission stuff I will need.

So far I know it's a matter of swapping all the sensors on the motor back to the old styles, need my year matching fuel rail and TB for linkage hookup, but here is where I cant quite remember things.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the newer torque convertors didn't bolt to the RH transmissions or the older flexplates didn't mate up to the newer convertors. Can anyone tell me if there is any truth to this stuff?

For the record I'm mating this to a 46rh.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

I have never heard that about the 46RE-46RH. Maybe they were talking about RFE transmissions. As far as I know the only real difference between a 46RH and 46RE is the electronic control, they are both still considered in the A-518 category and most parts are interchangeable aside from the electronic parts of course. Either way you will want to use the flexplate off of the 5.9 because it is externally balanced, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Yea I've done planty of homework on it lol

Far as the trans goes, I know what I need to use but had read somewhere that the flexplates had different bolt spacings or something like that with the convertors of certain years not mating to the trans shaft on the RH models.

Also on a side note, far as wiring goes I could use a harness for my year magnum out of any V8 Truck Right? or are the wire lengths going to be trouble?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

As far as wiring, for simplicity I would stick with a V8 Dakota harness. I'm sure one from a Ram would work but like you said the length of the wiring may be different. I would try to find a harness and PCM from a '92-'95 V8 Dakota to make things easy on yourself.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Were it possible...literally my only U-pull yard had a couple guys actually waiting at the lot the day the only 2 92-93 dakotas came in just so they could pull the motors and everything pertaining to them.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Before I forget, Is there any difference in the 2wd and 4wd oil pans on our trucks?

Quick Reply: Third times a charm..