1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel injector cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Arcaporale
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injector cleaning.

Saw a non-Dodge write up where someone took out their fuel injectors and threw them in and ultrasonic cleaner to clean them out. I've used my ultra sonic cleaner for years to clean SCUBA gear, gun parts, and my old lady's jewelry, so I decided to give it a try on my fuel injectors on my 92 5.2 4x4

It made a big difference in starting up, cold start, idling, and engine response. I would say its worth the time for anyone wanting to give their injectors a good cleaning.

Here's what I used for the job:

1. Ultrasonic cleaner (can be had from Harbor Freight for $70)

2. Can of throttle body cleaner

3. New set of fuel injector orings

4. Simple green

5. Compressed air

6. Beer

7. Fire extinguisher (always when working around fuel)

First I disconnected the battery, and began blowing out the area with on my intake with some compressed air to clear away any loose dirt that might fall through the hole for the injector. Once all the electrical and vaccum lines where cleared and disconnected I began to pull the fuel rails.

Nothing really special to it pulling injectors it's pretty easy. Make sure you get all the old o rings from the intake and fuel rail if they don't come out with the injectors. Keep a rag and small bottle to collect the gas that will spill from the rails as best you can.

Then I sprayed them all down with some throttle body cleaner, gave them a good scrub with a rag and threw them in the cleaner in a simple green/water solution for 7 min. The injectors don't need much time in the cleaner but you can run them for as long as you want. You can use pretty much any type of cleaning formula you fancy in these things. I used simple green only because I didn't want to damage the plastic on the injectors and its what I use for a lot of stuff. I also use vinegar, or some generic ultrasonic cleaning solution for other things all the time.

Once done in the cleaner I gave them another good scrub, rinsed in water and then dried with compressed air.

Make sure to get a set of orings for all the injectors, half of mine were torn coming out, all were cracked and aging. I put the new ones on and lubed them with a little gasoline, it really helps the injectors into the fuel rail. You may even want to get an extra set of orings, I can see how the new ones might tear easily going in.

Once I had them back on the rail I bolted the rails back down, reconnected everything, threw a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and started her up.

Overall took about 30-45 min, was an easy job, cost only about 12 bucks for the orings and had good results. Next time you go for some fuel injector cleaner at the parts store, consider investing in an ultra-sonic cleaner, they are very handy!!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:47 PM
93MissDakota
Professional

thats cool

Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Great deal! Not to hard at all.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Robbadodge
Veteran

Did a search on cleaning the injectors and ran across this thread...

Everything is explained very well... except one thing. I missed where line #6 is administered.

Please add the detail so I'm sure to be successful with the project.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Old Toad

Not sure but I think Line 6 is a direct injection into the operator.
MT

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaning.