1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Error Code 24

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
CBudzinski23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error Code 24

Hello Dodge Forum, I've been scowering the web looking for some help with my 1995 Dakota 5.2L 4WD. Last week I was driving home and right as i started to step on the throttle My truck shut down on me. I pulled off to the side of the road and tried starting my truck and she wouldn't which was sad because she always has for me. I had my dad come give a tow to my family's shop as we own an ARCTICAT dealership. Since i am a small engine mechanic i immediately started trying to diagnose th problem. When I turn the key to on the fuel pump kicks on (most of the time) and I checked the the spark and compression of each cylinder trying to see if the problem is internal. The compression ranges from 125 psi to 145 psi throughout the cylinders which from my experience is plenty to start. All plugs are getting spark and I replaced the plugs just in case. So my problem here is that she has spark, compression, more than likely fuel, and we all know the 316 Magnums have never been short on oxygen. To make sure it wasn't a fuel problem I poured some gasoline down the Intake and tried to start. Nothing. After reading more online I learned how to check the engine codes and did so and I got 12-24-55 which I'm lead to understand that the 12 and 55 mark the beginning and end of the error codes. so I researched the 24 and found that it is a poroblem in the TPS (throttle position sensor). My problem now is I was hoping someone on here has had the same problem and could tell me how to fix it. Do I need to just simply install a new TPS? Also I have a short somewhere in my cluster light circuit as it blows the 5amp fuse immediately. Could there be something going on behind my dash causeing this whole problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:48 AM
CBudzinski23
Default Update

I feel quite silly now because I forgot to hook up the connector for the TPS because I was trying to remove the fitting from the Fuel Rails and removed the connector so I could get a better hold on the fitting. I hooked it back up and tried to start... still nothing, and did the code reading again and 24 still comes up but I am lead to believe that it will not go away until 5 successfull starts. Is it possible that the timing chain jumped a tooth so I am still getting spark but it is at the wrong time? Also, how does that fitting come off the fuel rail so I can make sure I am getting fuel up there. Thanks again.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 PM
CBudzinski23
Default Update 2

just bought a pressure tester from autozone and it reads 40 psi for fuel pressure, we now have fuel, air, spark, and compression.... still wont start, starting to wonder if it really is the TPS

Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
cd36
Professional
Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 AM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

Does it backfire/pop through the throttle body when you try to start it? If so it is probably a timing issue.

I'm sure the code 24 was stored just because you had the TPS unplugged, the only way I can think of that a TPS would keep the engine from starting is if it is reading WOT and shutting off fuel on start up. Go to cd36's link and test the TPS, if you think it is bad, before you replace it.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 AM
CBudzinski23
Default dakota

doesn't pop trying to start and she doesn't make noises like valves hitting the pistions or anything so I am also thinking its not a timing issue I know on ArcticCat ATV's they use a TPS and if its messed up the engine either won't start or will not idle, this is just confusing because I dumped gas down the intake manifold and it didnt start either which makes me think that the spark is at the wrong time or something like that

Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

Originally Posted by CBudzinski23
this is just confusing because I dumped gas down the intake manifold and it didnt start either which makes me think that the spark is at the wrong time or something like that

Ummm... what you just described is a timing issue. I'm not sure what the problem is if it has air/fuel/compression/spark. Maybe the spark is too weak (coil). If you think that the timing is off (not sparking at the correct time) check the whole ignition system, and check for stupid things like the distributor being loose, take the cap off and make sure the rotor is rotating with the engine, and crank sensor loose. Check all the plugs and make sure you are getting spark to all cylinders. Good luck

Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 PM
CBudzinski23
Default Thanks for the help

Distributor is tight all cylinders have spark I'm thinking maybe dumping fuel down the intake didnt work because the gas didn't make it to the cylinders who knows, possibly an issue with the injectors, just towed it down to a guy who knows his way around a dodge not just small engines like myself. We'll see what he figures out I'm really hoping its something stupid because stupid is usually cheap haha. Once I know I'll post it up on here and maybe help someone else out somewhere down the line thanks for your input anyways.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM
CBudzinski23
Default problem solved

I got my truck back yesterday and it turn out the pick up in the distributor (under the rotor) was bad and I told him to replace the coil while he was at it since that's the basically the only electrical component I haven't replaced. Just thought it was weird that the truck still had spark but it was at the time. I hope maybe this helps someone out someday and thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Error Code 24