1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 dakota fuel pump questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:33 PM
crazy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 dakota fuel pump questions?

ok guys ,,heres the issue ,,93 dak 3.9 ex cab 4x4,,,170,000 miles ,,was running good untill yesterday ,,,driveing along came up to a red light and it stalled ,,,,got it off the road and did the famous wire splice wiggle ,,lol..nothing ,,turns over and when i dump a little gas in it it wants to fire ,,checked for fuel pump noise with key on ,,nothing,,then checked for relay clicking when cycleing the key ,,ok there ,,checked for fuel pump pressure ,,none ,,disconnected the fuel filter turned on key no gas comming out and no fuel pump noise ,,even tried the good old band on the tank ,,still no noise at the tank,,so heres my question ,,i've had issues before with the famous wire splices by the relay box under the hood and by the washer bottle ,,repaired all of them,,so can i check to see if possibly theres another wire issue without pulling the tank ,,i'd hate to buy a fuel pump if it could be a wire issue ,,can the continuity be checked to make sure that i'm getting power to the fuel pump without dropping the tank?? or if the relay is clicking does that mean it's sending power to the pump??? or the relay is just getting power??? ,,i really don't want to drop the tank before i'm sure the powers getting there ,,30* outside isn't what i really wanna drop a tank if i don't need to..lol.. also guage is reading 1/4 tank and i haven't had issuees before with it running outa gas because of an inacurate reading,,and even if it was outa gas shouldn't the pump still try to prime when the key was turned on?? i've changed the pumps before on another dak i had and i know it's really not that big a deal ??but just hate to fix something that isn't broke !!lol..lol..
thanks
crazy

Last edited by crazy; 03-17-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just like you said see if the relay is working. Get a meter and check the power at the relay's output. Next check the power at the fuel pump plug, if you have power at the plug then the pump is bad.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:00 AM
crazy
Rookie
Default thanks

hey thanks from 1 crazy to the other,,lol..i remember reading somewhere how to check for continuity buy useing a volt meter and testing the relay posts but can't find the info,, do you know which posts to check ,,key on or off?? then at the tank i'd asume it would be with a key on correct?? and also do ya know if any of the known splices dodge used actually are fuel pump splices ??,,i just hate to change a good fuel pump,,and don't really look forward to unwrapping all the splices AGAIN..LOL..but i guess it's a trial and error situation,,and your trucks looking pretty good these days !!!
thanks again
crazy

Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 AM
daksnbeers
Professional

I found it easier to pull the bed to change my fuel pump and check if it got power. You can just disconect your tail lights and plate lights there is clips on the back of the frame you can see them easily. Then 4 screws connect the filler neck to the bed take those out. Then it's just 8 bolts holding the bed in 4 on either side, They were 9/16th's If I remember correctley if they look rusty soak them in pb blaster or wd-40 and let them sit a few mins makes it alot easier. After you double check that everything is disconected you can have 3 others help lift the bed up and walk it back till it clears the frame or just one other help lift it from the driver side and wedge the bed up with a milk crate or 5 gal bucket if you don't have one of those a jack stand could work nicely. That will give you plenty of room to work. Took me 20 mins to disconect everything and unbolt it.

Good luck. By the way if you do need a new pump make sure you get new gas clips to hold the lines to the pump the ones on there if not broken will break when you try to put them back on. Better than waiting another full day to get back on the road like I had to lol... I think you can get the clips at napa didn't find any at advance or autozone Package says ford on it but it's a universal fit.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 AM
crazy
Rookie
Default thanks

hey thanks for the info,,i've changed the pumps by dropping the tank before and it really doesn't seem too much of a problem,,i've never pulled the bed off but might be easier to get to the tank and proably wouldn have to drop it outa the truck to change the pump unit,,i'll have to check that way out and see how much trouble the bolts are,,but also involved would be removeing the cap and bedliner.. so it may be eisier to just drop the tank ,,i know what ya mean on the clips on the fuel lines they can be very touchy ,,and i know fuel pumps are a routine problem in daks ,,this is the 3rd dak i've owned ,,and the second i may have to replace the pump in,,last one was also a 93 and i started with a used one from a bone yard ,,which lasted about a month and then i wised up and bought a new one and didn't have any issues after that..i don't mind changeing it but since the wire/splice issues i've had with both 93's i just hate the thought of trying to figure which one it is by replaceing the pump or unwrapping the wires again..lol..lol..there great truck when running but sometimes can be a real PITA to figure out why they quit!!why dodge ever deceided to use poor wire conections at key intersections in the harness is beyond me!!
thanks again
crazy

Last edited by crazy; 03-18-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 AM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, crazy, when you do the job, can you post a few photos for us? Especially of those weak connections you are talking about.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
daksnbeers
Professional

Double post sorry

Last edited by daksnbeers; 03-18-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:07 PM
daksnbeers
Professional

I left the bed liner in my truck when I did it. If you look up on YouTube how to change fuel pump on 1993 dodge Dakota there is a vid on the whole process for 93-96 although I believe it's a 5.2 so the pump looks slightly different but it shows how to remove the bed and prop it up on a milk crate the hardest part for me was getting my friends to help lift it up. I hate calling people on phones though so lol...

Didn't see you said cap yeah that might need to be removed so maybe go for the tank drop unless the cap won't take any more than 10 mins to unbolt and lift out

Old 03-23-2013, 08:58 AM
crazy
Rookie
Default on the road again!

hey guys ,,just a follow up for future refrence ,,i did get the old dak running again,,found a 2 fold issue ,,i was bullheaded and didn't wanna unwrap those wires again so deceided to pull the fuel pump... took it out and hooked it to a 1amp battery charger ,,(i had an old fuel pump plug i had cut out at a junk yard).. with+ power to the green/blackstripe wire and useing the oppisite outside black wire ..the pump ran ,,so i unwrapped the wires and cut the old splices out and resoldered them ,,still no fuel pressure ,, i poured a little gas in the throttle body and it fired ..so i knew i was getting spark .. then i checked the the plug going to the pump with a multi meter ,,two outside terminals (green/black stripe +solid black -),,turned key on ,,nothing..so i go back to the pump and i think either i broke the green/black stripe wire when i dropped the tank or it was bad all along so resolder that wire and tried the multi meter test and i had power ,,plugged the plug into the pump and it started right up ,,so again another crappy splice/wire issue on the 93 daks ,,lol.. i didn't pull the bed this time because the bed bolts were pretty rusty and looked like they would cause more issues getting them out than just dropping the tank.. thanks to everybody who replied
crazy

Quick Reply: 93 dakota fuel pump questions?