1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

EGR valve system diagram

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 AM
matteusclement
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR valve system diagram

Who ever owned my truck before me gutted the EGR system.

Is it possible for someone to draw or point me in the direction of a EGR diagram? I have a Haynes manual and it is garbage.

I have a 1992 dak 3.9L.

So far I have the EGR valve plugged into the black puck thing (what ever that is called) but the EGR valve has another stem that could be plugged into something. Should that be a vacum line?

Then the other end of the black puck thing goes to the solenoid but then the solenoid has quite a few things going off of it: vacum lines and electrical.

Furthermore, how do I know if the EGR system is even working properly? Should I do some voltage testing? I'd like to avoid proper vacum testing as I don't want to buy the tool for it

thank you in advance.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 AM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

If the EGR system is not functioning properly then the CEL will come on and it will store a code. If the CEL does not come on or store a code then I would not worry about it unless it is creating an exhaust leak.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 PM
matteusclement
Rookie

My CEL never comes on even though when I run through a diagnostics test, it gives me a MAP sensor code error which SHOULD give me a CEL.

I plan on owning this truck for a few years and want to get it running the best I can. I would even venture that I will be doing a rebuild with a mechanic friend of mine in a year.

So I would really like to ensure that things are running smooth before I take that step. I have done most of the sensors & ignition and now am trying to get the EGR system working properly so that I know I am getting the best mileage I can.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 AM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

That MAP code could just be a stored code that is no longer causing an issue.

The vacuum lines on the EGR system:
EGR valve ---> transducer (black puck thing)
transducer ---> purge solenoid ---> manifold vacuum port

the only electrical connections in the EGR system will be on the transducer and on the purge solenoid.

Quick Reply: EGR valve system diagram