1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Just got a 93' Dodge Dakota V8

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Gravex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 93' Dodge Dakota V8

I really just want to figure out what problems I should look for. Its a 93 V8 with about 110k miles on her.
I know about the jumpy gas gauge already. Feel free to lay it on me guys. I need to leave my computer sanctuary and get back to my mechanical roots.

And sorry if this is the wrong section, still trying to get my bearings here.

Last edited by Gravex; 03-27-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

There's a list of common problems and fixes in the FAQ just above this post. That would be the best place to start.

These are great trucks although some of them have issues (like any other vehicle) most of them are minor and are usually fairly easy to fix. The 2 that I would say are the most notorious are the plenum gasket on the bottom of the intake manifold and the "splice". Even though I have 2 Dakotas ('92 and '93) neither one of them has had either one of those problems and the '92 has 175,000 miles on it.

Have fun and enjoy your truck, they are easy to fall in love with.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Gravex

Sure enough it is easy to fall in love with. I had a 03' Stratus RT with the 2.7 mag in her and 230k miles. The trans and engine were finally going out. Found this for cheap and fell in love. Sure there is some body work to be done but hey, a guy standing at 6'5" finally in a vehicle he can climb into (not slide) I am not going to complain. I just need some warmer weather and a haynes tear down manual then I should be good to go(that and some rust stop).

Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 PM
kahanabob
Captain

if it is a automatic then service it, filter & fluid. i am a fan of flushing it but some may na-say that.....

Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Gravex

Originally Posted by kahanabob
if it is a automatic then service it, filter & fluid. i am a fan of flushing it but some may na-say that.....
I was planning on it within a week or two. Synthetic oil and a tranny flush.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

I have the Haynes, and ended up getting the main factory service manual for my 96 on Ebay for $20. To tell the truth, I wouldn't waste the money on the Haynes--they look at one example of Gen 1 Dakotas and then extrapolate to all years--a 96 is as different from a late 80's as it is different from an 03. Getting the proper year & model factory service manual assures that you are getting the exact correct information about your specific truck.

The problems with your 93 will be age related rather than wear related (depending on where the truck has lived, corrosion can be a real problem, as well as oxidation in electrical connectors)--110,000 miles is really low mileage for a 20 something year old vehicle. My 96, for example has 229K on it--problems have been wear & age--oil and coolant leaks specifically. But mine is corrosion free, and I haven't found a lot of electrical problems. On mine the previous owner did a bunch of wear related repairs--new alternator, auto trans rebuild, brakes, steering gear, windshield(right before I bought it!) and a new set of tires. Mine's been in a series of fender benders, so that the paint & body look pretty good.

Ya know, these things are more old school technology than new. It isn't difficult to figure out sensors, controllers, and senders if you have access to a code scanner a multimeter, and a good service manual.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM
cd36
Professional

Originally Posted by Gravex
I was planning on it within a week or two. Synthetic oil and a tranny flush.
All ATF+4 (which replaces ATF+3) is synthetic. DO NOT USE ANYTHING OTHER THAN ATF+4/3 IN CHRYSLER TRANSMISSIONS. Unless you are looking to replace a transmission down the road.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the forum and congrats. i'm in the process of putting my 91 back together. its been slow progress(never let the gf take over your only time off work) but she's getting there.

...aaannnddd as stated before, lol
Name:  191290_zps86f34713.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  58.1 KB

Last edited by shadowthedakota; 03-27-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 PM
matteusclement
Rookie

Just fixed up my 92 v6. Here are a few things I did.

easy thing to do is to clean off sensors. These sensors tell the computer how to mix the fuel. You will get better mileage and more power.
The MAP sensor can be cleaned off with some brake cleaner.
The IAC can be cleaned with carb cleaner and some rags.
The o2 sensor just before the catalytic converter often is dirty and never replaced.
If your coolant sensor is bad, it will cause you truck to burn rich because the computer will think that it's "cold".

New electrical is also a sound investment IE - spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor.

Also, run some fuel injector cleaner for a few tanks (5-10 times). The injectors can be all gummed up.

That's a start. All in, that might set you back about $200 to get it running pretty damn good.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Gravex

My lovely place of work ( and my lovely old truck! sorry for not posting it earlier.)

Quick Reply: Just got a 93' Dodge Dakota V8