1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New motor for the dakota

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 AM
SXX360
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor for the dakota

Well, I think it's time to start assembling parts for a new motor...this one seems to be having a few slight problems, although it's nothing serious yet it is only a matter of time I'm sure.
First off, there's a 3.9 in it now and that is what will be going back in. However, I was looking to add a few things into the rebuild just to spruce up the motor and give it a little bit more power and better driveability. Not looking for huge power gains but I'm sure someone will miss the two places it says that I'm staying with a 3.9...

So far for parts I've found and settled on are JBA headers and harland sharp 1.7 rr's.

Was thinking a cam would be nice, obviously would have some work done on the head and that would probably be it for major changes unless someone has some really cheap ideas on ways to gain horsepower. lol

Was considering the JET stage 2 module, I know that it's kind of a toss up as to who believes it works and who doesn't...the ideal and probably unlikely thing would be to find one of the few MOPAR pcms that exist.

If anyone has any relevant and helpful comments or ideas they are welcome here. Also anyone who may have useful parts that they don't need anymore I'd be happy to take them off your hands if I need them.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-01-2013, 08:18 AM
JunkYard5_2
Amateur

There are always the free mods. Bored and polished throttle body greatly improves idle and feeds the engine more air throughout the rpm band. The kegger mod may not produce as much of a gain on the 3.9 but for free, who cares. The only thing with the kegger mod is it moves your power band up in the rpm range... Not so good for towing etc. A/C delete, e-fan, nicer ignition parts, exhaust to go with the headers. All kinds of stuff.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

dont for get to use zinc in the oil on first start up. type in zddplus. they have the best zinc.

Quick Reply: New motor for the dakota